New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #11  
Only 'gas' powered stuff here is the lawnmowers. Everything else burns diesel.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #12  
I'm onboard with all this electric stuff. Lots of people arnt.

Just like anything battery powered you need to monitor your use and know when to recharge or swap out.
Complaint about being out in the field and the battery dies... how about a diesel tractor out in the field running out of fuel?
Lots of us use tractors but how many use theirs for over 10 hours a day on the hour meter?
Just like cars everyone complains about only 200-300 miles on a charge but drive only 30-50 miles a day.
Lots of delivery trucks.... long haul trucks are switching over or adding to their feet. Tesla semi truck proposes 500 miles between charges. 0 to 60 in under 15 seconds.

just a opinion.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #13  
Horse powered implement people used to say the same thing about the internal combustion engine....

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #14  
I am NOT a tree-hugger in any way shape or form. In fact, I dislike them. Quite intensely, actually

But I do like technology. Love it.

As far as changing battery packs, it can't be any worse that filling/refilling your tractor with diesel fuel and having it slop all over you while standing on your tippy-toes or on a crate.

And no way would I really want to dedicate a perfectly good truck to hauling a permanently installed fuel transfer tank around...... But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I like the idea but not enough to be one of the first buyers. Let others with deeper pockets buy them.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #15  
I'm onboard with all this electric stuff. Lots of people arnt.

Just like anything battery powered you need to monitor your use and know when to recharge or swap out.
Complaint about being out in the field and the battery dies... how about a diesel tractor out in the field running out of fuel?
Lots of us use tractors but how many use theirs for over 10 hours a day on the hour meter?
Just like cars everyone complains about only 200-300 miles on a charge but drive only 30-50 miles a day.
Lots of delivery trucks.... long haul trucks are switching over or adding to their feet. Tesla semi truck proposes 500 miles between charges. 0 to 60 in under 15 seconds.

just a opinion.

I agree with you generally, but a lot of people run their tractors 18 hours a day; in the spring and the fall especially.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #16  
Your point is well taken. On days we mow, we mow 10-12 hours. We could cut the day short and add days as necessary. Not totally desirable but likely livable.

EVs are evolving. They have advantages and disadvantages. They eliminate some pollution and cause other pollution (batteries and generation).

Like all engineered machines, there are pros and cons. One has to weigh those in the context of use.

For instance, I can't see me running an EV truck from my home to the farm. That's a 7 hour drive. EVs will require one re-fueling. On a high charging system, that adds 45+ minutes to my trip. I'm not willing to give up that 45 minutes for a re-fueling.

For around town, an EV is perfect. I doubt I put 20miles a week on a car these days.

We could change to an EV tractor. That could work for our need.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough
For running the battery out of juice in the field vs running out of
diesel is simple just run to the barn and grab a couple gallons of
diesel and back to the tractor no problem but then you look at the
dead batteries no hoist out in the field. It might take 30 minutes
to get some fuel in the tractor but 5 hours to recharge the battery??
How much is the recharging system going to cost? battery price??
how long will the battery last?? diesel engines last a very long time. Also if you are pulling a plow that will take a lot of juice and batteries will not last any whare near 10 hours of running. A full tank of diesel will last more than a day at least
IMHO electric tractors will have to drastically improve before they
can even consider replacing a diesel tractor. With the weight of
the batteries and electric motors and tractor you better be sure the
ground is DRY OR SINK!

willy

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #18  
This is a promising step forward. I can see a day when this is scaled up to high hp Ag Tractors. Think about solar panels on all the massive farm out buildings providing electricity and charging powerful battery modules. A self driving mule would bring the battery module out to the field and exchange battery modules and return the drained battery back to the charging station. There's a reason the major manufacturers are building prototypes.

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #19  
For running the battery out of juice in the field vs running out of
diesel is simple just run to the barn and grab a couple gallons of
diesel and back to the tractor no problem but then you look at the
dead batteries no hoist out in the field. It might take 30 minutes
to get some fuel in the tractor but 5 hours to recharge the battery??
How much is the recharging system going to cost? battery price??
how long will the battery last?? diesel engines last a very long time.
Also if you are pulling a plow that will take a lot of juice and batteries
will not last any whare near 10 hours of running. A full tank of diesel
will last more than a day at least

willy
My point was..... Most of us fuel up before we go out. If its getting low we refuel. That would also be the point on batteries.
Some tractors (or diesels) just dont start back up after running out.

Just plan ahead...

/ New Tractor Company as if we didn't have enough #20  
A gas powered generator could get it home in "safe" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.