Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #11  
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Help me decide if 25hp+/- is enough or if I should be aiming higher (35-ish).

i only have about 5 acres and it’s mostly flat, with a swale here and there, and a gently sloping hill or two. We’re getting ready to transform what used to be entirely pasture into a mix of orchard, pasture, and large garden. Most of my regulars tasks will be mowing, tilling, grading and maintaining a long gravel driveway and footpath, and clearing/hauling brush, feed, fertilizer,etc.

My thinking is that I can get this all done with a loader, box scraper/ripper, mower deck, and tiller. Probably buy and resell a used auger for orchard planting and refencing some of the pasture.

Do you think I’ll be satisfied with the smaller end of the compact tractor range? or should I step it up and hit higher into the 30+ hp range?

Also, not sure if you are seeing this in your parts of the country, but where I am you’re not getting much of a discount going used? Should I bite the bullet and go new or target a low hour used model to save a couple thousand dollars?

thanks in advance for all of your help!

Don't think engine only and especially don't think horsepower only. Whatever that is. Torque is measured, HP is calculated.

That said, you usually run out of traction long before you run out of power. So it isn't so much 'HP' (again, whatever that is) it's the size of the tractor itself.

And some of those little guys don't really have a true Class 1 hitch. That can matter now and then.

But I've know several guys that were really, really happy with their little Subcompact.

But I hate mid mount mowers. If there is a stronger word than 'Hate' that's how I feel about them. They suck. IMO, they were invented by the Devil himself.

They hang up on everything when you go into the woods, they take away most of your ground clearance, they're always in the way and if you take it off, you wanna slit your wrist when you go to put it back on after crawling around on the ground, in the gravel or dirt. And you can never get them level. Hate 'em. The Drive-Overs? A little but not much better. Especially after you catch one on a stump you didn't see because you were too lazy to take it off. Which is understandable.

For the cost of a MMM, I'd go to Lowes or Homely Depot and get a Zero Turn. Better, faster, easier, more comfortable. But they give you two extra cylinders to baby sit. It's personal with me :)

Maybe a pull-behind Finish Mower?

Just my $.02 and worth even less

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #12  
I'm on one acre and wish my GC2610 TLB was a bit larger; heavier with bigger wheels and more loader lifting capacity. Can't imagine you being satisfied with it on five acres.

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #13  
A 25-horsepower tractor will be fine.

Your next decision will be between a tractor that weights 1,700 - 2,000 pounds bare weight or 2,700 - 2,900 pounds bare weight.

The heavier tractor will have more tractor grunt and will be wider, therefore more stable for these applications: tilling, grading, maintaining a long gravel driveway and footpath, and clearing/hauling brush, feed, fertilizer,etc.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

........snip..........

That is excellent advice for anyone interested in tractors!

By bare tractor weight you also mean without front end loader, right?

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision
Wonderful advice, thank you all for your input so far!

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #15  
If you have a Yanmar dealer near by check out this tractor:
This tractor is a SA 324 and the SA424 is the same tractor with
larger tires. I would of purchased the SA324 but you can't get a cab on it. I have 8 acres and ordered the YT235C backhoe, loader and cab rototiller brushhog. Lots of ceder to remove and misquites then will have the stumps to remove.

Don't just look at the tractors and videos you need to test drive
the tractors so you can make a decent decision of what you want
example: the joy stick for the bucket control is attached by the steering wheel while some are attached so you can control while
your arm in resting on the arm rest and some arm rests are adjustable.

willy

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #16  
By bare tractor weight you also mean without front end loader, right?

Yes. Most of the time adding external tractor weight increases rear tire traction.

While an FEL does add weight and dirt in the bucket adds more, FEL weight in front of the tractor leverages weight off the rear tires, negating some ( all? ) of the FEL weight bearing on rear tires so FEL weight is neutral or negative to traction.

Bare tractor weight is one of the easiest tractor specs to find.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #17  
The best thing to do is get on the tractors and test them out.
This way you will have hands on testing really the only way
to find which tractor you are comfortable with as if you don't
do this when the tractor is delivered you may have some
choice words for it if you just go by hear say!

willy

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #18  
Hi all!

i only have about 5 acres and it’s mostly flat, with a swale here and there, and a gently sloping hill or two. We’re getting ready to transform what used to be entirely pasture into a mix of orchard, pasture, and large garden. Most of my regulars tasks will be mowing, tilling, grading and maintaining a long gravel driveway and footpath, and clearing/hauling brush, feed, fertilizer,etc.

My thinking is that I can get this all done with a loader, box scraper/ripper, mower deck, and tiller. Probably buy and resell a used auger for orchard planting and refencing some of the pasture.

Do you think I’ll be satisfied with the smaller end of the compact tractor range? or should I step it up and hit higher into the 30+ hp range?

Also, not sure if you are seeing this in your parts of the country, but where I am you’re not getting much of a discount going used? Should I bite the bullet and go new or target a low hour used model to save a couple thousand dollars?

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #19  
Yes. Most of the time adding external tractor weight increases rear tire traction.

While an FEL does add weight and dirt in the bucket adds more, FEL weight in front of the tractor leverages weight off the rear tires, negating some ( all? ) of the FEL weight bearing on rear tires so FEL weight is neutral or negative to traction.

Bare tractor weight is one of the easiest tractor specs to find.
My preference is always finding a low hour used, preferably private sale.
Sounds like your task list is fits a compact machine 30 hp. I just purchased a 2007 Massey 1531 with 290 hrs. It wasn’t easy to find but they are available out there. It came with 60” mid mount mower deck which was key for me. And the chassis size is perfect.

/ Compact Tractor: Help making the right decision #20  
Hi all!

I bought a 25hp and it has plenty of power. But it only has an 18hp pto. Wish I knew what I may need more pto for. I bought a chipper but it's only 4" capacity due to pto hp. I would go for 25+ pto hp.