Real estate values are going absolutely crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #41  
If the dollar can lose 90% of its value since I was a kid, it can lose 90% of its value in the term of a 30 year mortgage. Maybe the market will tank and good deals will appear, or maybe the fiscal death spiral will continue and holding dollars will be the wrong move. Your guess is as good as mine.

If you expect rapid inflation, the best thing you can have is a low fixed interest mortgage.

Paying back the mortgage with inflation ravished money. Interest rates will soar. You will be able to earn 10%+ on CD’s and pay a 2.5% mortgage and make lots of money. Those that paid off the mortgage in a high inflation economy lose.

MoKelly

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #42  
Not to be a weenie, but the average household income in 1955 was around $5k a year. Today it's over $78k a year.

But back then, the woman of the house didn't have to get up every morning, get the kids ready for work, make breakfast for everybody, make sure her husband actually put his clothes on right (if at all), get herself ready for work drive there for a half-hour, spend between 9 and 12 hours there and drive home. Very often leaving the house when it was dark and getting home when it was dark. Then clean the house or, at leaat tidy it up if she's lucky enough to afford a house cleaner once a Month. She gets to do the clothes too and make sure she picks up all their snowflakes from some absurd charter school (that's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine) do the clothes, the dishes..... And don't get me started on all the 'sports' leagues for chilluns. disturbing

The problem is, we all want nice things. We want to bring our children up somewhere safe, somewhere that doesn't have shootings ever week, somewhere that doesn't have a drug pusher on every street corner and predators in the park. You'd think that people would have enough sense to vote the scumbags that allow that to happen out of office but, they don't. I know why but it will offend too many people; because the truth always does

So what they do is what people have always done when faced with extreme adversity -- They run.

To the 'burbs, to the near-country. And that costs money. Lots of money. So mama usually pays the price. So does Dad and so do the kids because the woman, who makes the family work, isn't around enough.

It is what it is. It won't change in my lifetime and probably not in the lifetime of anybody that's in here.
I agree, I live in the middle of what was a family farm , It has now been all sold of and the ten acre corn feild in front of my house and the adjasent 40 acres of woods is now destroyed and is soon to be homes for the scads of people leaving st louis because of the garbage running it. I would sell and move to my farm , but wife wont leave the grandkids yet.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #43  
I agree, I live in the middle of what was a family farm , It has now been all sold of and the ten acre corn feild in front of my house and the adjasent 40 acres of woods is now destroyed and is soon to be homes for the scads of people leaving st louis because of the garbage running it. I would sell and move to my farm , but wife wont leave the grandkids yet.

She never will. None of them will.

I'm moving, with or without my wife of 44 years. (she'll come with me no matter what)

Just the way it's gonna be.

I'm a SOB if I'm gonna sit around and waste away while the girls are happiy spoiling their special little snowflakes. Done it long enough and now, it's my turn.

Everybody's situation is different. Way different. I've been planning this move for a over ten years. It's time. One way or the other, I'm getting my little hobby farm or house in the country.

But it sounds to me you got it better than I do. By a long shot.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #44  
Not to be a weenie, but the average household income in 1955 was around $5k a year. Today it's over $78k a year.

But back then, the woman of the house didn't have to get up every morning, get the kids ready for work, make breakfast for everybody, make sure her husband actually put his clothes on right (if at all), get herself ready for work drive there for a half-hour, spend between 9 and 12 hours there and drive home. Very often leaving the house when it was dark and getting home when it was dark. Then clean the house or, at leaat tidy it up if she's lucky enough to afford a house cleaner once a Month. She gets to do the clothes too and make sure she picks up all their snowflakes from some absurd charter school (that's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine) do the clothes, the dishes..... And don't get me started on all the 'sports' leagues for chilluns. disturbing

The problem is, we all want nice things. We want to bring our children up somewhere safe, somewhere that doesn't have shootings ever week, somewhere that doesn't have a drug pusher on every street corner and predators in the park. You'd think that people would have enough sense to vote the scumbags that allow that to happen out of office but, they don't. I know why but it will offend too many people; because the truth always does

So what they do is what people have always done when faced with extreme adversity -- They run.

To the 'burbs, to the near-country. And that costs money. Lots of money. So mama usually pays the price. So does Dad and so do the kids because the woman, who makes the family work, isn't around enough.

It is what it is. It won't change in my lifetime and probably not in the lifetime of anybody that's in here.
If you think life was so easy back then, you weren't around. There was a little thing called "home economics," which meant the woman contributed about half the income to a family, she just did it at home. In 1955, groceries were 30% of the household budget, and they didn't show up pre-cooked and pre-packaged. Socks with a hole in the toe got darned, kid's jeans got patched, canning and preserving ate every spare minute in the summer, and lots of clothing was home made. Wash day was a real day spent doing laundry. Now it takes maybe 15 minutes to do a load of laundry, and 10 minutes to load and empty the dishwasher. Then, as now, a successful family required two working adults. The change is that housework became so trivial it has little value any more.

The current lack of safety is an illusion promoted by people who want to control you by keeping you in fear. The crime rate is 40% of the crime rate in 1955. Cars are safer. Medicine is safer. I had two friends die of polio, and one of scarlet fever, before I was 10 years old. Kids don't even get measles, mumps, or chicken pox any more.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #45  
If you expect rapid inflation, the best thing you can have is a low fixed interest mortgage.

Paying back the mortgage with inflation ravished money. Interest rates will soar. You will be able to earn 10%+ on CD’s and pay a 2.5% mortgage and make lots of money. Those that paid off the mortgage in a high inflation economy lose.

MoKelly
If we end with 10% CDs it means inflation is 12%. Deduct the 2.5% interest and your CD is only losing 4.5% a year.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #46  
If you think life was so easy back then, you weren't around. There was a little thing called "home economics," which meant the woman contributed about half the income to a family, she just did it at home. In 1955, groceries were 30% of the household budget, and they didn't show up pre-cooked and pre-packaged. Socks with a hole in the toe got darned, kid's jeans got patched, canning and preserving ate every spare minute in the summer, and lots of clothing was home made. Wash day was a real day spent doing laundry. Now it takes maybe 15 minutes to do a load of laundry, and 10 minutes to load and empty the dishwasher. Then, as now, a successful family required two working adults. The change is that housework became so trivial it has little value any more.

The current lack of safety is an illusion promoted by people who want to control you by keeping you in fear. The crime rate is 40% of the crime rate in 1955. Cars are safer. Medicine is safer. I had two friends die of polio, and one of scarlet fever, before I was 10 years old. Kids don't even get measles, mumps, or chicken pox any more.

Why do posters always want to erect a strawman when replying to someone else? I don't get it.

I didn't say life was 'easy'. I said it was different, much different, than today.

I was 8 years old in 1955 so I remember quite a bit. I remember my cousin dying of meningitis, I remember one of my classmates with crippling polio, I remember my mother having difficulty with her change of life in the 1960's. Doctors would just wink and say, Female problem'.

Life was very difficult in those days. Did you not notice the income comparisons I posted? How the cow..... Nevermind.

My boy lost two friends to drugs in the last five years. And these were kids from good families. One's dad was a Doctor (dentist, actually), the other's Mother was a College perfesser. How many died of drug overdoses in 1955? How many drive-by killings were there? Then there's the AIDS epidemic that spread into normal America. Things were just different. Better and worse at the same time.

And no, crime wasn't worse back then. That's just you making stuff up. It's an absurdity to say that. https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
About the only thing that makes the crime rate look bearable these days is the FACT that most crimes aren't even reported. Especially in the big Cities.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #47  
I’ve got a log home on 60 acres I bought 20 years ago as a hunting cabin. Wonder what’s it’s worth now. It’s only an hour away from home and my wife and I stay there once a week just to keep it up.

Attachments

• 3E3CBFAF-4719-408D-B569-6DFFFE57A06F.jpeg
    3E3CBFAF-4719-408D-B569-6DFFFE57A06F.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 82
  • 9F4D44EC-43CD-4085-B346-E0796AACB842.jpeg
    9F4D44EC-43CD-4085-B346-E0796AACB842.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 88
   / Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #49  
Our friends own a Real Estate and they can't get enough homes to sell. They are on the market one day and gone the next.
Our place is worth Big $s as it has its' own bore water supply which is rare here. We paid $200,000 for 40+ acres and it is worth more than double that now. Not thinking of selling as we wouldn't be able to find another smaller acreage with potable water.

/ Real estate values are going absolutely crazy! #50  
Some say the housing bubble is inflating due to inflation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.