operating temperature

/ operating temperature #1  

Az Horseman

Tractor
1955 Ford 850
I recently had my 1955 Ford 850 tractor engine overhauled.
It seems to be running a little hot (225 degrees). Is that normal?
Does the break in period for overhaul have anything to do with it?

/ operating temperature #2  
Mine tends to run about that same temp give or take a bit. I have a 195 degree thermostat in mine and have thought about putting a 180 in instead but just have never taken the time. I put a new radiator, water pump and had the block tanked (cleaned) when I rebuilt the engine so I know the cooling system is good. I am sure you have checked the radiator for blockage, in fact IMHO anytime an engine is rebuilt the radiator should be cleaned.

As long as it does not start running temps higher than what you are now seeing it should be fine, if it really bothers you then swap out the thermostat for a 180. Just do not go to the 160 thermostat as that is to cold for these engines unless you are doing hard all day farming with the tractor.

/ operating temperature #3  
IMHO 225 degrees is too hot
You need to find the cause!!

/ operating temperature #4  
You are running very close to over temperature. Be sure your radiator fins are clear. If you've not done so, flush and reverse flush your cooling system. It is possible your thermostat is not opening fully. A newly overhauled engine can run a bit hot during break in but not a lot, it may not be noticeable. Of course it's also possible your temperature gauge is defective. Try to get a measurement of the radiator side of the thermostat.