Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #11  
At one time I owned a diesel, a 2004 Cummins. I would occasionally get one of the diesel pickup magazines. I always remember an article saying not to delete and a line something like “you ever get upon the morning, go out on your front porch, take a deep breath and say, man, the air is to clean today”. That kind of stuck with me. Big improvements since the late 60’s, it’s just a matter of them not getting to carried away with emissions standards.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #12  
I dont care if they want to reduce emissions, I'm all for it! Just dont make me drive pile of crap 6.0 & 6.4L diesel unreliable trucks to accomplish it!
We put a man on the moon 50 years ago and walk around with pocket size super computers, but cant make a reliable DPF/DEF system?
Really?

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #13  
And the Gov't is focusing on this stuff, while murderers, rapists, and thieves (not to mention Covid infected) people cross our borders without any recourse.

Emissions KILL. It take awhile but emissions KILL.
But emissions only kill down wind air breathers! :)

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #14  
So it’s illegal to simply remove the emissions?
Is it illegal to ever use that engine without emissions in off-road applications?
I can understand it being illegal to operate a vehicle on public roads that don’t comply with vehicle inspection requirements (including emissions), but the responsibility is with the driver, not on the mechanic who removed it.
....probably why I’m not a lawyer.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #15  
So it’s illegal to simply remove the emissions?
Is it illegal to ever use that engine without emissions in off-road applications?
I can understand it being illegal to operate a vehicle on public roads that don’t comply with vehicle inspection requirements (including emissions), but the responsibility is with the driver, not on the mechanic who removed it.
....probably why I’m not a lawyer.
Good point!
There has been no emissions violation, until the driver actually uses the vehicle.
Perhaps "intent" is a violation?

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #16  
Emissions requirements aren't tied to highway use. One would think this being predominantly a tractor and outdoor power equipment discussion site that bit of reality would be more universally understood by participants.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices.

SEMA warns that selling any aftermarket parts with the disclaimers "for off-road use only" or "for racing use only" is "essentially meaningless... if the part can be installed on a highway vehicle."

As pointed out during the debate over the SEMA-backed Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act, re-introduced in Congress late last year (S.2602, H.R.5434), the EPA does not make a practice of prosecuting individuals who have bought and made use of emissions control defeat devices, only the manufacturers selling those devices.

Bruce

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #18  
I find it interesting that it’s illegal to remove the emissions system but flying privately is perfectly acceptable at 0.2mpg

heck they’re planning private space travel at 11 000lbs/sec of fuel consumption during take off.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #20  
Didn,t the diesel bros get a huge fine as well for removing emmisions and adding in a rolling coal feature which could be activated at will ?