Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #21  
I know Edge got hit a few years ago Selling the stuff for deletes. I have a Dodge Challenger that I have used a tuner on. Perfectly legal, if anything probably helped emissions since I’m running a tad leaner. If I take the converters off then I crossed the line. Edge has tuners for diesels that were legal because they really only affected full power or high throttle and don’t bypass emissions equipment.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #22  
I find it interesting that it’s illegal to remove the emissions system but flying privately is perfectly acceptable at 0.2mpg

heck they’re planning private space travel at 11 000lbs/sec of fuel consumption during take off.

My Beechcraft Debonair cruises at ~180 mph, burning 12 gallons per hour.
That's 15 mpg.

As far as rockets, some burn liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, which only produces water vapor. Other propellant/oxidizer combinations produce varying amounts of carbon dioxide and/or carbon monoxide.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #23  
I was prepared for this thread to be pretty ignorant. My tractor is too small for emissions equipment, and when I owned a 12-valve Cummins, I felt like a failure if I ever "rolled coal." Black smoke = engine lugging = poor power management = bad driving. I feel the same way with the tractor.

And as someone who is constantly building things, I LOVE tools-as-power-multipliers. But gratuitous displays of power, to me, are a sign of a poorly-programmed human computer. I'm 60, have a young-adult child and don't want to damage the environment any more than absolutely necessary.

I'm impressed that most posts here are reasonable on the topic. It's sad there are a lot of men who don't get it/don't care. I'd vote education over gristly removal, but at some point we'll simply need an effective solution.

Buy Soylent Green futures.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #24  
What I haven't read here is a reason for wanting a 'deleted' exhaust. To add what HayDude mentioned regarding engineering, it is hard to believe that there is no other way to have better air than with DEF, or to get better mpg. I have known some who have deleted and their number one reason is because of mpg. Nothing about power, sound or air quality. Whether true or not, they reported upwards of 20% better fuel economy = same as the pre-DEF engines. Therefore a customer has to buy more fuel, plus they have to buy DEF to use their vehicle. One owner I know bought a brand new 5500 pickup and was only getting 10 mpg. Who wants to put up with that? With delete, the new mpg was 14. And BTW, the second reason is that if you run out of DEF, the vehicle goes into limp mode, so if you are towing something you are essentially stranded along the side of the road. I'm convinced that the way things are (w/ DEF) is cheaper than better engineering.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #25  
I'm impressed that most posts here are reasonable on the topic. It's sad there are a lot of men who don't get it/don't care. I'd vote education over gristly removal, but at some point we'll simply need an effective solution.
So wait, you’re saying that you will send folks that “don’t get it/don’t care” to death camps?
Although you would magnanimously try to re-educate them first?
How edgy you are.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #26  
I'm sure if there is any prison time, it's clear that child molesters and murderers get less.

The fact of the matter is that the EPA is killing autos with their overly stringent air emission requirements. They are more expensive to repair and the gas savings is not worth it on a per mile basis. No one wants to go back to the 1960's and leaded gasoline, but these cars have simply traded one pollution issue with another. What happens to all that plastic in today's cars? Where does it go? Does it all get recycled?

Look at small engines. These become waste after a couple of years sometimes and can't run properly. Gas cans? Those alleged devices are far worse than a simple gas cap. I take the spigot off so I can pour it properly into a tank while using a funnel.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #27  
Though perfectly legal, there is a large contingent of tractor and truck owners that prefer and go out of their way to buy pre-emmissions equipment yet they are not cast into the same category. In the end, it's the same from an environmental perspective. This is just an example of someone that was wreckless and easily caught. Probably underlying reasons as well. We will likely never know the entire story.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #28  
My Beechcraft Debonair cruises at ~180 mph, burning 12 gallons per hour.
That's 15 mpg.

As far as rockets, some burn liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, which only produces water vapor. Other propellant/oxidizer combinations produce varying amounts of carbon dioxide and/or carbon monoxide.
Oops, but how about a 60 kt headwind?
The Debbie is a sweet li'l airplane.
I almost bought one, but bought a Twin Comanche instead.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #29  
I wish that there was a legal provision that allowed emission deletes after a certain number of years. I suspect there are going to be a lot of parked diesel pickups with bad emission equipment and no spare parts in 15 or 20 years. Most small farmers have old trucks and modern diesels don't lend themselves to longevity.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #30  
I wish that there was a legal provision that allowed emission deletes after a certain number of years. I suspect there are going to be a lot of parked diesel pickups with bad emission equipment and no spare parts in 15 or 20 years. Most small farmers have old trucks and modern diesels don't lend themselves to longevity.
This would make sense. Around here at least, there are very few 20 YO pickups on the road. If they haven't turned into a pile of rust chances are that they won't be used a lot.