northstar power washer 1578812G

/ northstar power washer 1578812G #1  

frogracer

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH T4.120 - ArmstrongAg Grapple, Pallet Fork
Hope someone maybe able to help - I have had the subject power washer for several years but the last few times I have used it I have noticed water continuously squirting out of a small 90 degree nozzle/hose barb that I do not recall happening when new.

Attached are a few pics of the PW -

In the picture that is more of a close up of the pump - the water is flowing out of the small black barb on the lower left of the brass pump casing.

It can also be seen in a few of the manual drawings.

Any insight as to why this is happening - if it should or should not and if not what do you think the repair is would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

Thank you!

/ northstar power washer 1578812G #2  
I have worked on some power washers, but never had any luck with repairing the pump. I suggest that you go to a dealer who works or sells the pump on your washer. They will be able to give you an idea of what maybe wrong.

Most likely there is some dirt or other foreign material in the valves, or a spring has rusted.

Good luck

Richard

/ northstar power washer 1578812G
Richard - Thank you for the feedback. I was hopping not to do so but will try and find time tomorrow or Friday before leaving for the weekend.

My son wants to power wash this summer to make a little money. He and his friends are hoping to start doing so next week.

Thanks once again

/ northstar power washer 1578812G #4  
I would say that the black barb area is part of the thermal relief valve. Suppose to open when the internal water temperature exceeds around 190 degrees. After working on pressure washer and their pumps for close to 20 years, sometimes parts can be hard to track down, and the pumps with the aluminum heads are about cheaper to just replace the pump or the entire pressure washer.

Most common issue with the brass head pressure washers is unloader valve issues causing low pressure in most cases, followed by damaged check valves and water seals.

Tracked down the part - Thermal relief valve - no one really has it in stock but Comet Pumps but I found an online shop that can get it from them and ship it to me for less time or money than Comet or other stores. It’s a $12 part but most places want $30-40 for S&H. Sorry no go with them.

/ northstar power washer 1578812G #6  
Tracked down the part - Thermal relief valve - no one really has it in stock but Comet Pumps but I found an online shop that can get it from them and ship it to me for less time or money than Comet or other stores. It’s a $12 part but most places want $30-40 for S&H. Sorry no go with them.
If you know the thread size, opening temp and PSI, you could use anyone's valve to replace it (though I'm pretty sure they mostly all the same):

Thanks for all the feedback. I took a chance at a local NorthernTool and they had one in stock by chance. The. Lack hose 90 was cracked at the barb but otherwise they said it should be just fine. Total cost $5.
I also have one on order that will be here in 10-15 days. Son is happy he can start work now!
I was thinking the same on the - can use most any - online. This confirmed it for me.
Cheers

/ northstar power washer 1578812G #9  
I would say that the black barb area is part of the thermal relief valve. Suppose to open when the internal water temperature exceeds around 190 degrees. After working on pressure washer and their pumps for close to 20 years, sometimes parts can be hard to track down, and the pumps with the aluminum heads are about cheaper to just replace the pump or the entire pressure washer.

Most common issue with the brass head pressure washers is unloader valve issues causing low pressure in most cases, followed by damaged check valves and water seals.
Considering how cheap replacement pumps are today (unlike back in the day when all there was were Cat pumps and they cost a fortune), pretty easy to have a spare on the shelf which is exactly what I have. AR really took the wind out of the cost of a Cat pump. When mine pukes (it's 6 years old), I'll pull off the old pump and replace it with a new one and the old one can go to the landfill.

So far, so good. 2 things I never do and that is, I always keep the PW inside and safe from freezing and two, I run a pre filter on the inlet of the pump and only use rainwater to wash with.

Of course I only use triplex pumps with brass heads and checks.