Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #1  

espacef1fan

Silver Member
Tractor
Shopping for a tractor
Well the old John Deere sold.

The wife and I are dead set on a HST tractor with a cab. We also intend on lifting pecan super sacks that weigh 2000-2500 lbs occasionally and will mainly use the tractor for mowing and tree line maintenance.

Is there any reason this tractor won’t do what I want and should I look at other brands/models with price being a consideration?

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #2  
I don't see you lifting sacks that weigh 2000-2500 pounds, let alone carrying them around. The FEL lift ratings are at the pins, not out on the end of forks or whatever you're using to grab the sacks.

You need to go up a frame size.

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #3  
My Branson 3520h lifts 2,100 lbs at the pins. You’re gonna need something bigger.

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #4  
The BL200 loader on the 2021 models (3620, 4820 and 5520) lifts 2,700 lbs at the pins at full height. Unless you're trying to lift those super sacks at max height, it might be doable.

Then you have the Branson 5835R with a 3,437 lbs lift capacity to full height but it's not available with HST nor Cab I believe. It's a power shuttle transmission, meaning you can change directions back and forth without pressing the clutch.

By the way, I just use Keno tractors website to check the specs since Branson doesn't care much about their US and Global websites.

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series
The BL200 loader on the 2021 models (3620, 4820 and 5520) lifts 2,700 lbs at the pins at full height. Unless you're trying to lift those super sacks at max height, it might be doable.

Then you have the Branson 5835R with a 3,437 lbs lift capacity to full height but it's not available with HST nor Cab I believe. It's a power shuttle transmission, meaning you can change directions back and forth without pressing the clutch.

By the way, I just use Keno tractors website to check the specs since Branson doesn't care much about their US and Global websites.

That’s kind of what I think/hope I’ll be able to do, lift them off the floor and be able to just move them using a pallet and possibly load them on a low height trailer.

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #6  
I have the older BL25 loader with 2100 lbs capacity. I move IBC totes full of firewood using pallet forks. A tote full of green wood estimates at 2200 lbs with another 250 for the forks. No problem moving them but I don't lift them more than a couple feet. If I don't get the forks fully seated under the tote I can't curl it.

I'd recommend loading the rear tires and getting a counterweight. I use a 550lb box blade and the rear tires are never light. With 500 lbs more I'd recommend more like 900 or 1000 for the weight.

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #7  
See if your dealer will let you test drive one at your place. That way you can tell if this will work or not before you buy it.

I do think you're going to come up a little short on lifting, but if you're only moving them around on a concrete floor and a flat driveway it may work.

I was envisioning you picking up and carrying these sacks around across a yard or field, with uneven ground and potentials for roll over. You're still going to want ballasted tires and a pretty heavy weight on the 3pt hitch.

This is a 6' round bale from one of the times I fed my old neighbor's horses (the bale was pretty soft and mushy). It was ALL my tractor wanted. Picking it up was ok, but traversing through the snow across uneven ground was a bit "dicey". I'm guessing it at around 1600 lbs...:

20180101_153434.jpg

A heavier 3pt attachment would have helped, but in winter I put my rotary mower away for the season and the box blade was what I had.

I'm thinking you're going to want either a 35 series (I think the cabs are coming "soon") or the older 45 series (discontinued, but cab model was offered).

See if your dealer will let you test drive one at your place. That way you can tell if this will work or not before you buy it.

I do think you're going to come up a little short on lifting, but if you're only moving them around on a concrete floor and a flat driveway it may work.

I was envisioning you picking up and carrying these sacks around across a yard or field, with uneven ground and potentials for roll over. You're still going to want ballasted tires and a pretty heavy weight on the 3pt hitch.

This is a 6' round bale from one of the times I fed my old neighbor's horses (the bale was pretty soft and mushy). It was ALL my tractor wanted. Picking it up was ok, but traversing through the snow across uneven ground was a bit "dicey". I'm guessing it at around 1600 lbs...:

View attachment 700456

A heavier 3pt attachment would have helped, but in winter I put my rotary mower away for the season and the box blade was what I had.

I'm thinking you're going to want either a 35 series (I think the cabs are coming "soon") or the older 45 series (discontinued, but cab model was offered).

Unfortunately the used market is a bit insane price-wise and availability-wise in my area so I’m more or less stuck buying new if I want a hydro anything with a cab.

I’m also wanting to buy sooner rather than later as I currently only have a 46” lawn tractor to mow with since selling my other tractor and I want to stay in front of the price bump that’s likely coming due to inflation.

I did plan on making the 3 point hitch concrete 55 gallon drum ballast weight I’ve seen or something similar to get to atleast 1000lbs of ballast.

I only would be driving in the red circled area which is flat and in and out of the concrete barn.
IMG_6679.jpg

Worst case is I pick the sacks up on pallets just high enough to drive them into the barn after sorting and use the hoist to load the trailer. Annoying but doable.

The yard/trailer in question

IMG_6680.jpg

The inside of barn in question
IMG_6681.jpg

/ Last chance-Talk me out of a HST cab 20 series #10  
If you'd be lifting the sacks on pallets I think a 20 series would do it. Your terrain is probably not an issue. Last summer when we were under fire evacuation warning I moved my firewood totes to a space away from the barn. That was up a hill across mildly uneven terrain. I was in a hurry too. It went fine and I didn't feel like it was unsafe.

I think a 20 series might have a problem lifting the sacks from the loops on the top.