Trick to keep quick connections locked together?

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #1  

Snowlan

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2025
I’m new to having a tractor and have discovered quick connect hydraulics can come apart very easy. One of the hoses to the backhoe shifted while in use, the fitting was sitting on the PTO cover and the edge of the cover put enough pressure on the quick connect collar when it shifted that it popped open.

It was one of the return hoses and it damaged the backhoe control block with too much pressure on the used oil discharge side (three hose system).

Anyone have any tricks to guard the coupling collars and prevent accidental release?

Last edited:
   / Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #2  
My take on hydraulic couplings is that I believe they are designed that way so that they will seperate in the event they need to, such as driving off with the hoses connected. I never have too much of an issue with them. Every now and then I won't get one coupled up completely and it will pop out when pressure is applied but once they are fully seated I have no issues. I would think if you are pulling one apart you may have a hose that is too short. It might be a good thing it did.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #3  
They don’t pop off easily. Only if they are housed in a certain type of snap ring enclosed housing will they pop off off pulled on by the hose. I drove off without disconnecting my 400lb grapple once, and they just drug the grapple across the dirt until I disconnected them. You have issues if yours just pop off.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together?
Lots of slack hose, as required to connect hoses before fully backing up tractor to connect backhoe. Used the backhoe all afternoon, next day, first move made on the backhoe popped the hose off (or popped off while driving tractor before the backhoe was used).

No tension on hose, just weight of hose and the coupling just happened to be sitting on a hard edge that could move the collar. Seems way to easy to me, so looking for a way to prevent it since it has put my backhoe out of service until valve parts are in stock. Don’t want that happening on a regular basis.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #5  
They don’t pop off easily. Only if they are housed in a certain type of snap ring enclosed housing will they pop off off pulled on by the hose. I drove off without disconnecting my 400lb grapple once, and they just drug the grapple across the dirt until I disconnected them. You have issues if yours just pop off.
This^

If there is pressure in the line (as there should be with the return line for a BH which is likely a constant flow) the fitting should be damn near impossible to get apart. Either you did not have it properly connected to begin with, the connectors are not identical/compatible, or you have a faulty connector.

You should also watch all your hoses anyway, there shouldn't be an instance where a hydraulic hose is moving while contact with anything stationary or vis versa because it always leads to larger problems.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #6  
Lots of slack hose, as required to connect hoses before fully backing up tractor to connect backhoe. Used the backhoe all afternoon, next day, first move made on the backhoe popped the hose off (or popped off while driving tractor before the backhoe was used).

No tension on hose, just weight of hose and the coupling just happened to be sitting on a hard edge that could move the collar. Seems way to easy to me, so looking for a way to prevent it since it has put my backhoe out of service until valve parts are in stock. Don’t want that happening on a regular basis.
If the slip collar was resting on an edge when you shut the tractor down it could have released when the pressure was removed from the system and possibly disconnected as soon as you started the tractor without you noticing. Pretty unlikely IMHO.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together?
IMG_3694.JPG
IMG_3695.JPG

Red and yellow hoses stayed connected which are the ones completing the loop. Blue hose which is the used oil return is the one that popped off and the pressure blew the cover off the valve on the back side of the main boom lever. Now moving any lever in any direction blows out out this leak.

Note the cap screws did not come if the holes, though they did get bent when the ears cracked on the cover. This was just me investigating to see if I can repair on site and what parts are needed.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #8  
I would spend time looking over the qd that you say did this. There is something wrong with it.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #9  
View attachment 700934View attachment 700935

Red and yellow hoses stayed connected which are the ones completing the loop. Blue hose which is the used oil return is the one that popped off and the pressure blew the cover off the valve on the back side of the main boom lever. Now moving any lever in any direction blows out out this leak.

Note the cap screws did not come if the holes, though they did get bent when the ears cracked on the cover. This was just me investigating to see if I can repair on site and what parts are needed.
Is that the oring poking out?

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #10  
Something is wrong. Connectors don’t just pop apart.