I thought Sthil made a good saw?

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I just cut a fairly good sized dying white pine down, was limbing it when the muffler fell off my MS291. Can't figure out why. Soon as I got it in garage it's raining like crazy, so had to quit anyway.
Getting the one bolt recessed will be fun. Any ideas...thanks in advance.
20210603_160838.jpg
20210603_161521.jpg
20210603_161153.jpg

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #2  
The 12 inch battery one we have is a guzzler for oil. Wife mentioned this to some tree people recently. They agree: oil guzzlers.

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #3  
Way I see it you have two options.
1: If you feel confident/lucky, drill and use an easy out, if you decide to go that route, heat up the boss around the broken stud once you get the easy out in before trying to turn it out. or
2: Build up the stud a bit until you can weld a washer then a nut to it and turn it out, working it back and forth gently. Which ever method you choose be sure to stuff a wet rag in the port. Watch your grounds as well, magnesium is bad for arcing under a loose or corroded ground clamp. Best bet would be to screw a bolt into the good boss, snug it up and use that to clamp your ground to...........Mike

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw?
Way I see it you have two options.
1: If you feel confident/lucky, drill and use an easy out, if you decide to go that route, heat up the boss around the broken stud once you get the easy out in before trying to turn it out. or
2: Build up the stud a bit until you can weld a washer then a nut to it and turn it out, working it back and forth gently. Which ever method you choose be sure to stuff a wet rag in the port. Watch your grounds as well, magnesium is bad for arcing under a loose or corroded ground clamp. Best bet would be to screw a bolt into the good boss, snug it up and use that to clamp your ground to...........Mike
Thanks...but it's recessed down into block maybe 1/8" or so. I wished it was sticking out, something to grab!

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #5  
Use quality ez-outs.....not budget cheapos. Center punch as close to center as you can and drill down the center as straight as you can.

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #6  
Any good ez out will have that out quick.

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #7  
...but it's recessed down into block maybe 1/8" or so
That's the purpose of building it up before welding the washer then a nut on it. As long as you don't go haywire building it up, you won't have a problem as the steel weld won't stick to the magnesium.
If you're not comfortable welding, go the easy out route first, you then have welding as a back up method..........Mike

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #8  
A guess here, but the one bolt fell off and the other broke off because of it. Never heard of one coming apart like that. My experience is if a bolt breaks off but would have come loose with normal torque, and easy out will work.

You would be surprised how cheap parts are for your saw. My guess is a new cylinder (jug) would be less than $50 for a off brand name. On the bright side I can see your piston in one pic it looks in good shape. I rebuilt a MS250 for about a $100 that had a badly scored piston and cylinder.

/ I thought Sthil made a good saw? #9  
That's the purpose of building it up before welding the washer then a nut on it. As long as you don't go haywire building it up, you won't have a problem as the steel weld won't stick to the magnesium.
If you're not comfortable welding, go the easy out route first, you then have welding as a back up method..........Mike
1st .....center punch, and try a left hand drill bit.
Use the largest left hand bit possible without damaging the threads.
Use an EZ out if necessary thereafter.
Left hand bits alone will often do the job.

Last edited: