Out of the norm question

/ Out of the norm question #1  

Manup

I own a large Victorian house, and to maintain it purchased a tow behind manlift. The manlift weighs roughly 5,000 pounds. To get to the spots I want to work on, I currently hook the trailer (similar to a two wheeled boat trailer) to my truck and pull it around my house. Once there I unhitch and get to work. There are some restrictions in my yard which prevent my truck from getting through with the lift and it ruts up the yard pretty good. Not to mention it looks pretty bad to the neighbors with the truck parked in the yard. Getting to the lower lawn there is a downhill grade that drops roughly 10 feet over 200 feet. Once there, the lawn is flat all around the house.

I'd like to get a "right sized" tractor to pull the lift around the house.
What size tractor could pull and safely stop the 5,000 pound trailer? The manlift has electric brakes so could the tractors be set up with a 7 pin towing connector to match the manlift? Really don't want to get the manlift rolling and discover I cannot stop it.

Appreciate any help offered.
Best regards

/ Out of the norm question #2  
You are gonna get alot of opinions here......But there is a difference in what a tractor "can" do....and what a MFG rates if to do to which is usually a conservative CYA approach.

10' drop over 200' aint much grade at all. We have rented towable lifts and have had no issue with tractors such as a L3400 kubota. (new models being L2501 and up). Though I think they are technically rated to tow somewhere around 3000#.

My MX is rated for something like 7000# or a little more towing.

IF you want to do what is on paper as withing the manufactures conservative limitations.....you need to be looking for a ~3500 pound (bare tractor weight) in the ~40hp plus range.

IF you want something that will work fine but might not "technically" be listed to tow that much....any of the full sized CUT's will work 2500-3000 pound bare weight like the Kubota L series, deere 3000 series, etc. Avoid the smaller machines like the deere 2000 series or kubota B-series.

/ Out of the norm question #3  
The manlift has electric brakes so could the tractor be set up with a 7 pin towing connector to match the manlift?
Yes. Should be an easy add-on.

"Big Ag" farm tractors often have 7-pin towing connectors as standard equipment.

/ Out of the norm question #4  
One other point to consider for the tractor is making sure you get the right kind of tires. Don't get ag tires, cause they will eat up your yard more than your truck it. Turf tires, or industrial tires would work fine.

/ Out of the norm question #5  
My 35 hp tractor and the ones up to 50 hp (small frame) are rated to tow up to 7700 lbs. I know that the 20 to 30 HP are on the 6600 lbs mark and the 50 hp (bigger frame) and up will go as high as 14000 lbs or so.

I'm sure this might diverse in the US because of the hydrostatic transmissions.

While the turf and industrial tires do cause less destruction on the yard, they also provide less traction and may spin the tires pulling the man lift causing an even bigger mess.

/ Out of the norm question
You are gonna get alot of opinions here......But there is a difference in what a tractor "can" do....and what a MFG rates if to do to which is usually a conservative CYA approach.

10' drop over 200' aint much grade at all. We have rented towable lifts and have had no issue with tractors such as a L3400 kubota. (new models being L2501 and up). Though I think they are technically rated to tow somewhere around 3000#.

My MX is rated for something like 7000# or a little more towing.

IF you want to do what is on paper as withing the manufactures conservative limitations.....you need to be looking for a ~3500 pound (bare tractor weight) in the ~40hp plus range.

IF you want something that will work fine but might not "technically" be listed to tow that much....any of the full sized CUT's will work 2500-3000 pound bare weight like the Kubota L series, deere 3000 series, etc. Avoid the smaller machines like the deere 2000 series or kubota B-series.
Thank you for this information!

/ Out of the norm question #7  
A tractors 7 pin or trailering pin connector won’t have a brake controller to activate any trailer brakes.

/ Out of the norm question
Understood. I have a portable brake controller available on my existing truck.

Thank you,

/ Out of the norm question #9  
welcome to this forum, wise to post here...interesting project, where are you located, & what type of work will you be doing to the place? posting pics is a must on the forum :) best regards, & good luck, looks like you're safety conscious for good reason

/ Out of the norm question #10  
This is crazy; I was telling my wife just last night I need a manlift for our farm house project to do it right. Do you have a picture of your rig?

Attachments

• 20200427_115326_resized.jpg
    20200427_115326_resized.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 967