Out of the norm question

/ Out of the norm question #11  
Big fat tires would be my choice.
You can also add a lot of weight to a tractor. A basic 3000 lb tractor often carries close to an extra 2000 lbs with a FEL and Backhoe or weight box. They don't seem to have trouble handling their own increased weight including fluid in the tires EXCEPT when going downhill. Tractors don't have front brakes, so downhill requires staying in FWD, slow, and careful.
Wide tires, extra weights, FWD, and slow.

Or just get a rough country forklift with a man cage and make life easy on yourself. I see those going at good prices sometimes at auction.

/ Out of the norm question
welcome to this forum, wise to post here...interesting project, where are you located, & what type of work will you be doing to the place? posting pics is a must on the forum :) best regards, & good luck, looks like you're safety conscious for good reason
Here's a photo of my lift and "project". I'm guessing I'll end up spending twice the amount on the tractor as I did on the lift.
welcome to this forum, wise to post here...interesting project, where are you located, & what type of work will you be doing to the place? posting pics is a must on the forum :) best regards, & good luck, looks like you're safety conscious for good reason
This is crazy; I was telling my wife just last night I need a manlift for our farm house project to do it right. Do you have a picture of your rig?

Attachments

• 20200427_115326_resized.jpg
    20200427_115326_resized.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 968
The lift will pay for itself in your safety and productivity. Highly recommend it. I was able to get this one several years ago at a really good price. They are available and it isn't that hard to find a good one. My wife the fact that I'm not working on a ladder.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 512
   / Out of the norm question #13  
Do you have any other uses for the tractor other than moving the man lift? How much money do you want to spend? Do you have a place to store the equipment? If so how big is the barn or shed? Do you plan on moving the man lift and tractor to other jobs? If so how big of truck and trailer do you have?

We need more info to give you good answers.

/ Out of the norm question #14  
Nice house and awesome first set of posts. I’m out of my element, on this, so no advice or opinions on the matter at hand. Welcome to the forum!

/ Out of the norm question #15  
not a bad rig for tree trimming/removing as well now you'll need a trailer (you probably already have)

/ Out of the norm question
not a bad rig for tree trimming/removing as well now you'll need a trailer (you probably already have)
I do have some "experience" with tree removal. When you have a lift parked in your yard there is always someone looking for a favor. Normally don't mind but when total strangers ask to "borrow" it, it gets a little weird. Wonder if I could walk up to their house and ask to borrow a car?

Either way thank everyone on this forum for the helpful advice. I see there is a New Holland Boomer 50 with 3300 hours for sale within a few hours of my home. Knowing there are a lot of variables, what is the expected life of a small tractor?

/ Out of the norm question #17  
I've joked around with my wife about getting one to do our Christmas lights as the front tree is pushing 50'. A friend of ours has a farm and he could use one as well.

They are really handy.

We've been looking to go in halvsies for one. However, we've never found one under $12K used. They've been going crazy in auctions as well.

We can rent them for a weekend for $300, so that's the plan until we find a used one within our price range.

/ Out of the norm question #18  
Until you look at it there is no way to tell. But I would say that 3300 hours is going towards the upper limit. However it could have been some ones baby or some ones beater.

/ Out of the norm question #19  
I almost purchased a great looking boom truck just to use on my property. While I could of used it in my work as an electricial contractor, insuring a boom truck would have tripled my commercial policy. By the time I got all the info together and called the guy back to buy it, it had sold. Was a super low hour rig with onboard generator. I could kick myself for not getting it. I have a towable 45’ lift in my back yard that belongs to a friend. Its swing is rusted frozen. Have messed with it on and off for several months, no good. I’m going to drop it back off at his place. Would have been handy to have.

/ Out of the norm question #20  
Tractor tires are more unfriendly on a yard than a truck unless you run turf tires. Not sure a tractor is going to get what you want.