Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,271  
Some more words of advice.

Triangulate signal and conquer.
Survival is the mission...The drug (lust) of power is often stronger than the will to survive...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,272  
This conversation reminds me of when The Walking Dead was popular - everyone you talked to was so convinced that when the zombie apocalypse came they'd be one of the very few who survived while everyone else perished. Just stockpile a bunch of beans, antibiotics and weapons and you're good to go, right? I mean how hard could it be? Sure the life expectancy back in the settler days was only 40 years but those guys were chumps, I'll be fine ;)

For me, if the S really and truly HTF I'm not sure which would be worse - dying on day 1 or living through it.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,273  
Battery prices will not drop as the demand for lithium increases.
How do EV enthusiasts feel about burning coal and natural gas to charge EV's ?
I love it!

Tesla_Birmingham.jpg

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,274  
Hardly...calling them "climate refugees" only proves my point about being gullible and naive...get real...geeze...!
As for prepping against possible NATURAL disasters...one of the things I maintain is a a couple of lead lined chests that protect certain electronics and communication devices etc...!
I'm not responsible for your ignorance.

The whole impetus for the EV shift is to phase out fossil fuels. As I have mentioned, I think it is too little and decades too late, but we may as well go along for the ride.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,276  
Anti-EV people often bring up power plants, not realizing that the modern coal plants are cleaner than the typical car - it's much easier to scrub that exhaust in one place than in a million cars, and more likely to be maintained (assuming the EPA hasn't been gutted). Natural gas? *way* cleaner than ICE. In what world did you think this would be a gotcha?

If you want to talk about EVs being non-environmental, we need to do a full lifecycle comparison -- everything that goes into the EV or ICE car (ICE car wins this part, hands down), plus everything that goes into the cars during their full lifetime of use (EV definitely wins this part, especially since they'll probably last longer mechanically), plus recycling (ICE would win the end-of-life).

I'm not sure what the ultimate comparison sums to. It's tempting to give it to ICE since batteries are so nasty to produce and non-trivial to recycle (though the recycling could ultimately offset a substantial portion of the production, though I don't think it does at this point), but everything involved in the ICE fuel cycle is bad too.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,277  

It seems to be a hybrid. At 40 mpg it could be a commuter daily driver.
No stake pockets, so installing a lumber rack would be a PITA. With a 4.5' bed, a rack would be a real requirement. Maybe the 2 door version has a usable pickup bed?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,278  
For the life of me, I never figured out why anyone but a suburbanite would want a pickup truck bed shorter than the cab space. If it don't have an 8 foot bed I'm not interested. 40 mpg. My Focus gets that.

Soccer mom wannabe truck. Reminds me of the discontinued Ford Explorer with a tiny bed.
Yeah, it's sort of a minivan with a really leaky cargo space. I've been driving small pickups for decades, and with a lumber rack they serve pretty well, but they have all had at least a 6' bed. With an electric brake controller and a decent engine they are adequate for utility towing, but I wouldn't want to try hauling a travel trailer with one. 1/2 ton in the bed and 2 tons on a trailer is about their practical limit.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,279  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,280  
Smoke and mirrors are age old methods of communication. They work well!

Status
Not open for further replies.