Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #71  
I do not think a clear water pool with a tiny bit of chlorine in it will be harmful to dogs.
My critters drink out of mine all the time..

/ Swimming Pool options #72  
Baquacil does a good job, but takes more time to get 'right'. Once you get things down though, its pretty painless.. Costs are a little high though.

/ Swimming Pool options #73  
Baquacil does a good job, but takes more time to get 'right'. Once you get things down though, its pretty painless.. Costs are a little high though.

I'll stick with my chlorine generator.

/ Swimming Pool options #74  

We used baquacil for quite a few years due to our oldest had reactions to chlorine when she was young. It did work. It took very little maintenance. It was very expensive compared to chlorine, and by the end of the year, the water would taste metallic. Once a year we'd get pink slime. And once a year we'd get black slime. A dose of expensive chemicals resolved it quickly. Drain the pool down for winter. Refill in spring. Water tasted fine for a couple months. Repeat.

Kid finally outgrew the chorine issues and we switched to salt water. No problems since.

/ Swimming Pool options #75  
I have the nature2 system in my hottub. To activate it you need either a chlorine or bromine shock, and you still have to,maintain either a chlorine or bromine level. I use bromine floater. The good thing is once I set ph, hardness, alkaline levels, they never shift.

i also use some enzyme once a week, and an occasional shock. Water stays amazingly clear. But I also have a ozone system.

not sure about how safe for pets it would be though. My dog don’t hot tub.

/ Swimming Pool options #77  
We used baquacil for quite a few years due to our oldest had reactions to chlorine when she was young. It did work. It took very little maintenance. It was very expensive compared to chlorine, and by the end of the year, the water would taste metallic. Once a year we'd get pink slime. And once a year we'd get black slime. A dose of expensive chemicals resolved it quickly. Drain the pool down for winter. Refill in spring. Water tasted fine for a couple months. Repeat.

Kid finally outgrew the chorine issues and we switched to salt water. No problems since.
We never got the metallic taste or pink slime.

/ Swimming Pool options #78  
Something in the Baq products just seemed to concentrate it by the end of the season. Ever put a penny in your mouth? Tasted like that. Blech! :p

/ Swimming Pool options #79  
When I lived in town (city) I had an inground pool 18x36 ? Used chlorine, dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, etc drank from the pool. Only animals that died (as far as I know) from the pool were the ones that fell in and couldn't get out. Never an issue with keeping the water right with chlorine.

Now at the farm, I have a 30 ft round above ground pool, and still use chorine.
I see the dog from time to time leaning over the deck taking a drink. She's still around, so No ill effects from the chlorine

/ Swimming Pool options
I have the nature2 system in my hottub. To activate it you need either a chlorine or bromine shock, and you still have to,maintain either a chlorine or bromine level. I use bromine floater. The good thing is once I set ph, hardness, alkaline levels, they never shift.

i also use some enzyme once a week, and an occasional shock. Water stays amazingly clear. But I also have a ozone system.

not sure about how safe for pets it would be though. My dog don’t hot tub.
This is what I'm leaning towards and using bromine. I have a hot tub and chlorine makes my skin feel itchy afterwards.

Because of the dogs, we where thinking that we had to go with salt water for their safety, but after we now realize that we where being overly cautious and there isn't any reason to go with a salt water system.

Summer hit here yesterday. We've had a very mild spring, which meant I haven't put any thought or effort into the pool all year. Yesterday it got warm and HUMID!!! I think I'm going to work on the pool this weekend and see if I can get my collection of rocks to look like a decent water fall in the corner of the pool. Currently we have a pot for plants with a plastic flat thing for fountains in it to create a water fall. This wasn't something that I had planned on, but as it evolved, my wife fell in love with the sound it creates. My goal is to create something more pleasing to look at, and also hide the filter, which is so tall that it is visible behind the pool. If I can get the water fall feature working, I'll fill the pool so we can use it for Fathers Day.

IMG_6173.JPG