pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #121  
After reading through this thread I can’t help but wonder what everyone’s opinion about kids on lawns is ;)

/ pickup truck size #122  
After reading through this thread I can’t help but wonder what everyone’s opinion about kids on lawns is ;)
(y) Pushing a lawnmower.

(n) Walking their dog

Bruce

/ pickup truck size #123  
It's because the average American has become pretty large and luxury laden (or at least laden with the expections of luxury in nearly every corner of their lives).
So, you need a 7 liter diesel powered land yacht, when a 1000 pound family of four wants every power adjustable seat to have individual climate control and a built-in movie screen/game console. Does any manufacturer offer built-in back and foot massage for pick-up trucks? How about front and rear refrigerators for snacks and soda? If they don't yet, just wait...

Of course there's also the class of American land owners, contractors and "farmers" that certainly don't want their trucks to be confused--god forbid--with those driven by the Hispanics who are actually doing work that requires a pick-up truck.

Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #124  
I would never be so arrogant as to tell anyone what truck they should or shouldn't have. If it's a good fit for you, then great.
I can say that today's trucks are more dependable, safer and so on but the emphasis on the cargo bed has disappeared and been replaced with more interior room and options.
They are simply not the same "trucks" from the 70's and 80's. Today's pickup trucks are an entirely different vehicle and therefore used in different ways.

/ pickup truck size #125  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
Since the 1970's the government imposed regulations on the auto industry. Since PU trucks are a means of income for most of the owners, manufacturers and consumers get a break from some of those regulations(mpg's, and emissions, to name a couple.)
Since SUV's are built on the same "truck" platform they also enjoy those breaks. Which explains the SUV explosion that has been happening since the regulations were put in place.

/ pickup truck size #126  
I would never be so arrogant as to tell anyone what truck they should or shouldn't have. If it's a good fit for you, then great.
I can say that today's trucks are more dependable, safer and so on but the emphasis on the cargo bed has disappeared and been replaced with more interior room and options.
They are simply not the same "trucks" from the 70's and 80's. Today's pickup trucks are an entirely different vehicle and therefore used in different ways.
Absolutely, people should drive whatever they want. And as long as everyone else still has a right to their own opinion, some of those drivers are bound to be the butt of jokes about
the vehicle choices they make. There's seemingly no end to the chatter about Tesla drivers, for example. Certainly no one here would think of being so arrogant as to suggest someone shouldn't drive a Tesla... By the same token, if someone wants to spend $100k on a wanna-be Cadillac with a bed, that gets 15 mpg, in order to pick-up a few plants at the nursery on the weekend, so be it. More power to them, but I'll continue to laugh at them just the same.

/ pickup truck size #127  
Does Dodge still make manuals for there trucks I used to enjoy manuals every taco I owned had a 5speed useless for towing and hauling anything in the bed though? I can comfortably squeeze three kids in the double cab, unfortunately next one may have to be the crew cab, wife calls it a freight train.

2018 last year for G56 6-speed with 350HP/660ft/lb 6.7 Cummins. The Automatics made WAY more power and towed way more so only a diehard manual guy would get one. 16,000lb or so tow limit.

More than enough for me.

/ pickup truck size #128  
'02 F250 7.3L 4x4 6spd manual Extended cab. XLT

That to me was the pinnacle of pickups, still reasonably simple, but reliable, decent economy, basic comfort options.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 74
   / pickup truck size #129  
The dealers don't make near as much on a "WORK" truck as they do on a maxed out Platinum or King Ranch F150.
I'm going to drive my '06 F150 XLT 4.6l 2wd standard cab, 8 foot box until it falls apart or I die, whichever comes first.
And I'll trade my F150 Platinum when it hits 36000 miles for a new one. I guess that evens it all out...

/ pickup truck size #130  
I think you are just at the mercy of the manufacturer. I tried to "retire " my old truck 2 years ago. I could not purchase or even order the type of pickup I wanted . A simple undressed everyday work truck. Small V8 or 6. Rubber floor mats , Vynal seat cover. I did want power windows and a manual transmission. No dealer had one and I could not order one even thru fleet purchase. They would sell all day long that which I did not want at twice to four times the price 40 - 80 thousand dollars. Go figure.