A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #22  
I pray the kid gets things figured out before getting in real trouble.

Pay low wages get low quality workers(most of the time).

When I hear people say they can find quality employees I think it means "I'm not willing to pay for quality employees"(most of the time).
I think you are out of touch with the way people think, they are owed everything. Just ask them.

Also in Florida my company was required to follow the laws, insurances, taxes etc. The parent company, a nationally known house builder, then hired illegal companies under the table. No workmans comp, no licenses, undocumented workers. We called the county and state authorities but no one would enforce the laws.

I could not "pay for quality employees" as the well ran dry money wise. When you grease the right wheels you get to line your pockets. We were the "on paper legal company" and they gave the bulk of the work to the illegals and finely forced us out.

And my $1,000,000 per year of work I could not compete with the illegals.

In todays world you can not compete with $15 per hour minimum wages and a government that is willing to pay people to stay at home.

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
Also in Florida my company was required to follow the laws, insurances, taxes etc. The parent company, a nationally known house builder, then hired illegal companies under the table. No workmans comp, no licenses, undocumented workers. We called the county and state authorities but no one would enforce the laws.
I've got to ask, why was your company required to follow the law working in your state, but your parent company wasn't required to follow state law in the same state?

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #24  
The builder that we were working for used our name and info on the paper work to show that they were compliant with the laws/rules. They then hired scabs to work under the table and gave most of the work to them. Calls were made by us and compliants were filed and nothing was done to remove the scabs from the jobs. The scab's costs were much lower then ours and we could not compete with the scabs.

After multiple supers told me what was going on we moved on to greener pastures.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #25  
I was an employer when CA laws changed to include age 40+ employees/applicants into protected class. Employers responded by becoming very wary of hiring any age 40+ applicant. The cost, expense, and risk of doing (even a well justified) termination was just too high. Age 40+ applicants had a more difficult time finding a job.

So the intended social engineering change actually achieved the opposite, at least initially.
So California made that law because there was a problem of discrimination of +40 people. And it did have unintended consequences. If enough employers did the right things in the first place we wouldn't have these stupid social engineering laws that don't work. But that ain't gonna happen either. What a conundrum! You could make the same argument about labor unions. If employers were fair with their employees in the first place we wouldn't have Unions. And these Unions can be just as big of a problem as the one they intended to solve. Maybe we are approaching these social problems in the wrong way?

The builder that we were working for used our name and info on the paper work to show that they were compliant with the laws/rules. They then hired scabs to work under the table and gave most of the work to them. Calls were made by us and compliants were filed and nothing was done to remove the scabs from the jobs. The scab's costs were much lower then ours and we could not compete with the scabs.

After multiple supers told me what was going on we moved on to greener pastures.
I would think your company would have had legal recourse if the builder was misrepresenting your company for pulling permits?

Honestly however, when a parent company undercuts one of it's own subdivisions on a state job, it the long run, that doesn't make much sense as well.

Guys, at the end of the day, weed is illegal in NC.

If I'm the owner of this francise food chain, anyone employee who brings in an illegal drug (underage to boot) in their place of business would be terminated on the spot, no if ands or butts, let alone accidently burning the product in a business stove.

If a customer while inside the business would have gotten high from the smoke of the product burning, they could most likely press charges, and the news media alone would be a nightmare IMO for business.

I would have told the kid your fired, but since no one complained, I'm not pressing charges and you won't have to deal with the police. Count your blessings.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #28  
I think you are out of touch with the way people think, they are owed everything. Just ask them.

I could not "pay for quality employees" as the well ran dry money wise. When you grease the right wheels you get to line your pockets. We were the "on paper legal company" and they gave the bulk of the work to the illegals and finely forced us out.

And my $1,000,000 per year of work I could not compete with the illegals.

In todays world you can not compete with $15 per hour minimum wages and a government that is willing to pay people to stay at home.
I'm not sure everybody understands how Florida Laws work. They're different. But they make sense if you familiarize yourself with them.

Some Subcontractors can work on a jobsite under the GC's Workers Comp and under his license and insurance. Or, as is the case many times, a Sub will have a Class B license and he can bring in whatever workers he needs under his workers comp (usually an 'If Any' policy -- Don't ask) and CGL (contractos general liability)

Community Jobsites, the ones being built by a single company are probably what you're talking about. They make their own rules. And sometimes, they're just not up-to-speed. The bane of every company is that when they get big enough, they bring lawyers in to muck everything up. Never fails. Even communities that allow multiple builders can be a little silly at times. They often struggle because of it and the home-buyer pays for it.

As to illegals? Oh HALE yes! Juan shows up with a SS Card that you think is phony as all get out but if you refuse to hire him and he turns out to be legit, you're gonna be talking to Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, attorneys at law.

So you run him through the Federal Computer and sure enough, 4-5 Months later you get word..... he's illegal. See Ya! Six Months later he shows up again with a different SS card, another hair style, and a different DL. This time his name is Julio. And again, you're brain dead if you turn him down based on your suspicion of him being an illegal. He will OWN you if you're wrong. Maybe they've improved the time it takes no to get back whether he's an illegal or not. Don't know. Speaking from 10 year old knowledge. Don't matter though. Those 'illiterate' feraners out-smart our sooper-edumacated goobermint employees every time. funny stuff

There's some pretty big Companies down here that do okay. Maybe some day we can get some homes built.

maybe

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #29  
I pray the kid gets things figured out before getting in real trouble.

Pay low wages get low quality workers(most of the time).

When I hear people say they can find quality employees I think it means "I'm not willing to pay for quality employees"(most of the time).

Well I cannot debate your "most of the time" qualifier, I can only speak for myself. I have five positions available at my company of thirty. We pay market rates for employees. We can't get qualified people to apply for or open positions. Once we do get someone qualified we have to approach the salary discussion very carefully because laws evolve seemingly every year meant to close the mostly fictitious equal pay for equal work gap.

One example, we need a software developer with motion control and data acquisition and processing experience. Our ad covers a range from $75K entry level to $125K. Still nothing after five weeks.

Machinist/Toolmakers...nothing.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #30  
Protected class is about things you can't be terminated for. Things that used to take place back in the good ole days. For instance i hire you because you have the qualifications for the job. Then i find out you are a White Christian, i can't fire you because of that. I may be able to gen up another excuse, to get around it, but can't just kick you down the road because of your race and religion. Of course, you'd probably want to take your skills elsewhere and provide benefit to another business.
CT is an at will state but, you still have to do it the right way, both for legal and moral reasons. I have had bad employees who if they were not in the protected classes, would have been let go earlier with less cost and disruption to the company. Fringe employees who are in protected classes know it and wear it like a shield.