Front-End Loader Ratchet Rake // Today

/ Ratchet Rake // Today
6/09/2016

This post concerns Ratchet Rakes Vs. light Box Blades, such as the 60" Land Pride BB1260/346 pounds/69 pounds per foot.

I searched for the weight of kubota L3301 bucket but could not find a number. I presume L3301 bucket weighs approximately 240 pounds, extrapolating from other kubota specs. 68" Ratchet Rake weighs 88 pounds. Adding 240 + 88 = 328 pounds, pretty close to 346 pounds of BB1260 Box Blade.

In addition, the (operator controlled) weight of the FEL frame bears on the Ratchet Rake. Likewise, weight of the Three Point Hitch bears on the Box Blade. FEL frames weigh much more than ( 3X? 4X?) Three Point Hitch components. So, including some FEL weight, I guesstimate that ground contact pressure on Ratchet Rake and BB1260 would be at least equal, perhaps greater pressure on the Ratchet Rake.

Further in Ratchet Rake's favor you have articulation of bucket/RR combination in two planes from the operator's station and 1-1/2" serrated teeth on the Ratchet Rake.

Box Blade can be raised and lowered hydraulically from the operator's station. Box Blade angle of attack is adjustable via the Three Point Hitch Top Link, but not from the operator's station. Standard Box Blade does not have rippers, standard is a smooth cutting edge.

Ratchet Rake is capable of tearing up sod with its serrated teeth, the initial operation in much grading. The Ratchet Rake will not pull as large a load as a Box Blade but it may pull 35% of capacity of BB1260 per pass, with faster cycles. Ratchet Rake is more intuitive in operation than a Box Blade, which requires considerable experience to operate efficiently.

This is why I feel the Ratchet Rake is superior to light Box Blades for LIGHT grading.

I own both a Ratchet Rake and a Rollover Box Blade.

When I have heavy grading to do, I mount my 60"/625 pound (125 pounds per foot) Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade on the tractor's Three Point Hitch AND the Ratchet Rake on my FEL bucket.

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 408
   / Ratchet Rake // Today #12  
For the most part I keep my ratchet rake on my Ls 3025. Since I am mostly clearing vs grading it works well. I did make one modifaction I replaced the straps with chaind and binders as was busting straps. I have hooked up my jbar light duty box blade with sacrificer and used them together.

/ Ratchet Rake // Today #13  
This is my first real question on the forum. I hope I am asking the question in the right place. I had a guy come in and mulch about 7 acres of my twelve acres. I want to rake the wood chips up so I can get the grass to grow quicker. I am looking at getting a landscape rake or the ratchet rake. I think I would be able to do a wider variety of things with the ratcher rake. Will the ratchet rake work good to get the wood chips all together. The landscape rake I hear has to have more weight on it to make it work in the application I want to use it. Any advice and opinions are appreciated.

/ Ratchet Rake // Today #14  
I have used a Rachet Rake on wood chips and it works very well. Never used a landscape rack so have no opinion on that.

/ Ratchet Rake // Today #15  
The lanscape rake is a 3point attachment. The ratchet rake attaches to your bucket. With on you a limited scooping ability because off the teeth on the bottom. I have run both rachet rake and box blade together

/ Ratchet Rake // Today
Decided to clear a mass of wild grape vines from an overgrown fence row yesterday. PHOTO #1
I attached the Ratchet Rake to the bucket and mounted my EA Subsoiler to the tractor's Three Point Hitch.
Pulled out a 1-1/2 tons of vines in an hour.

The Subsoiler was useful in pulling/loosening grape vines below soil grade.
Ratchet Rake gripped vines above ground and pulled surface material plus considerable loosened roots.
Ratchet Rake is a first rate tool for consolidating debris. PHOTO #2
Green debris is piled against a tree as a backstop, so pallet forks can be fully loaded. PHOTO #3
I will have my 650 pound Box Blade mounted as counterbalance when carrying dried vine debris 1/3 mile to the burn pit. PHOTO #5 not taken yesterday.

Next I will mount a Dirt Dog APP (All Purpose Plow/Field Cultivator) in place of the EA Subsoiler and rake out residual roots 12" deep. Subsequently I will Disc Harrow lightly and Chain Harrow in order to leave a very smooth, attractive surface, then seed with Buckwheat in mid-March as a green manure to shade out weed seeds which germinate. Considering a row of mixed fruit trees after the ground is lovely. Perhaps two each Satsuma Tangerine, Fig and Sand Pear.

I have more vines to remove but I made a start. PHOTO #4

I was appreciative of the 1,650 pound FEL lift/downforce capacity (estimated after 1,700 engine hours) and the extra weight of Kubota's optional L2296 round-back, heavy-duty bucket during this job.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1b0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b0.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 289
  • DSC00204.JPG
    DSC00204.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 269
  • DSC00205.JPG
    DSC00205.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 258
  • fullsizeoutput_1af.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1af.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 318
  • fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 344
Last edited:
   / Ratchet Rake // Today #17  
Had a Ratchet Rake for several years. When it comes to cost vs. benefit, it's hard to beat.

/ Ratchet Rake // Today
dlctcg 6/2021

Is there a reason the 68” version would not work with a 72” FEL bucket that has a bolt on reinforcing edge installed?

If the mounting gap on the RR is a tight fit over the bolt-on edge on your bucket, after use you may need a sledge to break the RR free.

So I called RR about RR fitting the FEL bucket with the bolt-on edge installed. After much discussion they recommend the 68" width because the RR would have room to be positioned left or right along the bucket to avoid conflict between the edge attachment bolts and the mounting parts of the RR. The standard RR will accommodate a bucket (or bolt on edge) up to 7/8" thick without modification. However with (designed) modification it can handle up to 1-3/8" thickness....

Last edited:
   / Ratchet Rake // Today #19  
I have cleared about an acre with the ratchet rake. The only minor problem is the ratchet straps were taking a lot of abuse. They warranted one out for me. Since I have a lot more clearing to do I am going with chains and binders
i broke one of the QA metal straps soon after i got my RR.

I have calmed down since then.

/ Ratchet Rake // Today #20  
If you have any rocks in the soil those flails and rotary cutters can cause sparks! Nuff said.