Hot hot hot

/ Hot hot hot #21  
Evacuate if the wind shifts to you. You don't want long-term brain damage like from the military firepits. We have a friend with severe early Alzheimer's caused by that.

/ Hot hot hot #23  
Calm and cool night might have the toxic smoke lay right down to choke people out.

/ Hot hot hot #24  
chirping in from BC Canada, where it has been a mild winter, a dry spring, and Very Dry until about 4 days ago (burn ban in effect since last Friday at noon) - rain off and on since then ... and today a ridiculous and steady downpour. The ground is saturated now, mud everywhere. (and the mud is flavoured because we have lots of chickens ... I am trying to not wipe out :) )

/ Hot hot hot #25  
That fire is about 5-miles from the homestead. Chemtool's been burning now for 5+ hrs.

The toxic fumes in the air is the issue ... The smoke is from all those B-12 penetration oils, plasti-dip, brake-cleaner, CRC fuel injection cleaners, etc.
Think Bhopal as an example of worst case if the cloud lands on you.

I know you can't clean with brake cleaner before welding, so I did a little research for a better understanding. Its ugly. In summary that fire will spread wholesale quantities of what was used for poison gas in WWI.

/ Hot hot hot #26  
Think Bhopal as an example of worst case if the cloud lands on you.

I know you can't clean with brake cleaner before welding, so I did a little research for a better understanding. Its ugly. In summary that fire will spread wholesale quantities of what was used for poison gas in WWI.
Yes, it is phosgene and hydrogen chloride. Both used during WWI to gas combatants. Kills lungs and eyes on contact. They come from the decomposition of perc (tetra-chloro-ethylene) in the chlorinated brake cleaners, which is now banned in many places. The non-chlorinated versions work well. (I'm not recommending those for clean up before welding either.)

Personally, I wouldn't hang around to see if the smoke settles, or came my way. Take a trip to the Dells, or Door county. The smoke from the wildfires out here in California last year over loaded the ERs with asthma patients, but also heart attacks and for months afterwards, people sick with autoimmune diseases. Talk to Gulf war veterans about what they went through from Kuwait.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm not sure that I would eat this year's garden vegetables either.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hot hot hot #27  
chirping in from BC Canada, where it has been a mild winter, a dry spring, and Very Dry until about 4 days ago (burn ban in effect since last Friday at noon) - rain off and on since then ... and today a ridiculous and steady downpour. The ground is saturated now, mud everywhere. (and the mud is flavoured because we have lots of chickens ... I am trying to not wipe out :) )

Yup. We had a fire ban starting June 1, but I spoke to the Fire Chief yesterday, and they are hoping to lift it for this weekend given this week’s rain (which started yesterday).

/ Hot hot hot #28  
my Daughter (who is now married and living an hour away), and many of her friends, including one of our current Tenants, have all been local Volunteer Fire Fighters for the past 5 - 6 years. Everytime a match / lighter is lit, I get "a look" - so, I learned to hire them to do the burns for me on occasion. No questions that way :) LOL

/ Hot hot hot #30  
It is supposed to burn for another three days per this morning's press conference. Residents are advised to leave the area, and to wear masks. Known chemicals are said to include lead, cadmium, nitrogen compounds (I suspect that means urea, which does breakdown into some nasty chemicals when burning), and of course hydrocarbons. I assume that sulfur and manganese might also be in the mix.

The smoke looks vile.

I feel sorry for all who are impacted.

All the best,

Peter