Fuel tank issue

/ Fuel tank issue #1  

PEJ5

Gold Member
Tractor
2016 Kioti DK5010 HS
The return fuel line connection on the top of the fuel tank broke off on my DK5010. It went from dripping fuel to spewing fuel within 5 minutes. As for how - I am guessing the barbed connector was stressed last year when the tractor was split. I can see the return line and hose clamp laying on top of the fuel tank with the broken connector inside the line.
I am looking for advice from anyone who has removed their fuel tank or done related work. I am hoping to be able to repair the tank return connection. I am thinking that I can tap in a new barbed connection on top of the tank. Is the tank removal process straight forward? Does the return fuel just dump into the tank so I can dump it in via a new hole/spigot if I have to reposition the hole location, or is there something inside the tank such as a tube to the bottom? Do I have to invest in a new tank?

Feedback and tips appreciated.

Peter

/ Fuel tank issue #2  
Heck, I'd simply drill a hole near the tank top and insert the return hose and seal as best you can.
Use a magnet to catch metal chips as U drill.
You could also solder (hot iron, not a flame) a flange fitting for a more permanent and professional job, also sealant and pop rivets could be another option.
Heck epoxy could 'glue' a flange suitably as well.

/ Fuel tank issue #3  
Heck, I'd simply drill a hole near the tank top and insert the return hose and seal as best you can.
Use a magnet to catch metal chips as U drill.
You could also solder (hot iron, not a flame) a flange fitting for a more permanent and professional job, also sealant and pop rivets could be another option.
Heck epoxy could 'glue' a flange suitably as well.
I use epoxy for many things, and this would likely be another situation where I would use it.

/ Fuel tank issue #4  
Peter - I don't know about your Kioti. Mine heads back towards the fuel tank starting with a short steel line. It then turns into a nylon braid reinforced rubber line. At the fuel tank there is a 90 degree elbow. The rubber line ties into the elbow and is held tight with a hose clamp.

This is all well and good in my case. If I stand on my head and look thru my left arm pit - I can actually see it. Not even a piss ant could reach it though. I would have to drain and drop the tank.

Unless this elbow were broken off - flush with the top of the tank - imagination, more rubber hoses, bits of straight pipe - hose clamps - it's repaired.

/ Fuel tank issue
Thanks for the assistance. My tank is plastic so epoxy should work well. Oosik, thanks for observing that the connection is an elbow vs a vertical connector. There may be enough left to work with. It sure is a tight space so I am faced with removing the tank to complete the repairs which will result in having to bleed air out of the fuel system. Hopefully that is not too difficult a task.
I would welcome comments from others who have tackled tank related work.

I have tractor work/chores backed up so I'll have to get at it.

/ Fuel tank issue #6  
"Epoxy" covers many products not all well suited for a plastic tank or diesel fuel.

/ Fuel tank issue
"Epoxy" covers many products not all well suited for a plastic tank or diesel fuel.
Thanks for that advice. What should I use? Maybe JB Weld? It claims to work on plastic and I think it is fuel resistant.

/ Fuel tank issue #8  
Find out what the tank is made of. Abs, Pvc, PP, PE. And plastic weld it. I have repaired many tanks this way. I use a portasol butane soldering iron with a hot knife attachment. Melt the substrate then feed rod into it.
Plastic welding rods can be bought on e-bay. You get about 20 rods of each type of plastic.

/ Fuel tank issue
The return hose was incorrectly wrapped around the floor/deck mount which put undue pressure on it. Oh well, time to repair.
There is a bit of tube on the tank but not enough to clamp to. See photos. I do not want to wait for special plastic welders. I am thinking of Seal All. I will glue the piece on and then build it up with a thin coat. The hose clamp should hold it in place. There is no pressure on the hose and the fitting other than me pressing on the hose once.
I have a brass fitting, but I'd have to drill a fairly large hole and get it just right for the threads to bite. I think this would be plan B.

Suggestions?

View attachment 703047View attachment 703048View attachment 703049