When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems?

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #61  
You don't make money with happy existing loyal customers, you make money with new sales.
JD or whoever, doesn't make any money if you buy an off brand part from a supplier, so they figured out how to force you to buy only dealer parts and service.
It's money pure and simple, there may be better software from some "non JD" provider that could run these unit just as well, if not better but we'll never know.
I think you make money with happy existing loyal customers.

Word of mouth can be the best or worst advertisement a company could ask for.
Those happy customer's drive a lot of new sales.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #62  
More likely learned it from Apple I'd wager o_O

Though wherever it started I'm not a fan of forced obsolescence - or having to ask permission to fix my own stuff.
Why do you say that? Unlike JD you can purchase and install any peripheral on Apple products without having to go to the Apple Store to have the new hard drive, printer, scanner, monitor, etc, “registered” before the device will function.

The Apple Development environment Xcode is a free download. Write your own software. Install on your iPhone and up to 10,000 others without need of Apple’s safety review for release in the App Store.

As for “planned obsolescence” would you like to be stuck with a Motorola 68000 or Intel 8088 today? Or even Z80? Restricted to code that only runs on those CPUs? On that hardware? When Apple moved to the PowerPC RISC CPU they did an amazing job adding a software emulator that ran 68000 code so well few knew it was happening until the 68000 emulation was dropped when Apple moved to Intel CPUs and once again provided PowerPC emulation for many years. Now we have Apple Silicon M1 CPUs in the latest Macintosh designs, which once again emulates the prior Intel at just about the same speed as if running in native Intel CPU.

Am still laughing at how hard Windows users had transitioning to 64 bit.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #63  
I tried to search for this, but apparently I can't figure out how to ask the search engine my question.

What was the last year tractor that you could buy a JD tractor and not have these right to repair / software problems? Does it affect all tractors, or just the large ones? Is it just JD, or the other makes as well?

I'm looking at tractors from the 45 to 75HP range, and don't want to be surprised by getting locked out or even remotely neutered when I try and fix something.
From what I remember JD started this several years back, you were not allowed to buy parts and repair JD equipment yourself. My opinion they are monopolizing and taking away my rights as owner. I don’t buy JD products for this reason. Also DR products I bought a trimmer at garage tried to order parts, they called me wanted to know what I was doing with trimmer as they had no records of me buying it from them, you know this to me is over the line. I do own a DR trimmer beside the one I bought at garage sell. It was like they think they still own products, it is just wrong.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #64  
I don't know how they think they can operate and service small machines if they increase the skill required to work on them. My L3301 was in the shop for 3 months because no-one could fix it. ****, they gave it back to me and it still wouldn't start half the time. I ended up fixing it myself with one of those ford alternator conversion kits. Now it starts every single time. My point being, if they couldn't fix that how are they going to keep up with more advanced tech?

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #65  
I don't know how they think they can operate and service small machines if they increase the skill required to work on them. My L3301 was in the shop for 3 months because no-one could fix it. ****, they gave it back to me and it still wouldn't start half the time. I ended up fixing it myself with one of those ford alternator conversion kits. Now it starts every single time. My point being, if they couldn't fix that how are they going to keep up with more advanced tech?
Break = replace <- consumer level equipment. You can thank Walmart for that mentality.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #66  
As is my Iseki TM3160, and my Jinma when I had it, if somethings not working, you can see why.

Yup I had a HP scanner/printer. I refused to pay the price for HP cartridges so I bought refilled ones, every time I went to print I had to jump thru hoops. Went to print something one day and it just pi$$ed me off enough I put my fist thru the top and threw it out in the driveway. Two minutes later my daughter drove in, looked at the remnants of the printer and remarked with a straight face, "Printer not working too good", she has an ability to state the obvious LOL. Went and bought a Brother laser printer. So far I've gone thru 2 off brand cartridges without a hitch, never again HP for me.............Mike

*-
Same here HP can kiss it. I too use Brother, my favorite was the old EXmark, filled my own cartridges and it printed great.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #67  
Buddy had New Hollands and they used plug in modules. Theory was cheaper to swap a module than detailed troubleshoot. Naturally they never accept returns. Now the dealer technician came and repaired by swapping some and the tractor quit the very next day. Naturally that required another service call that they said was a new problem hence another invoice.
And then those sealed modules aren't cheap!

In another trade (fork lifts), I opened some old pricy modules only to find only 2-3 components inside.
Guess the potting material is costly.

Sounds like a form of 'up selling', like "while we are here your 50 hr service is due".

LOL, my CUT has NO modules and I have a well equipped tool box and sufficient knowledge to DIY my service and most repairs.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #68  
It would be wonderful to totally boycott machine purchases until manufacturers learn that when a person buys a vehicle, that person should have maintenance options that do not include them. When I buy something then I want to take full control.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #69  
It would be wonderful to totally boycott machine purchases until manufacturers learn that when a person buys a vehicle, that person should have maintenance options that do not include them. When I buy something then I want to take full control.
If even 1% of people recognized what a box wrench is or that equipment requires maintenance compared to the number of people 20 years ago, maybe that would be an option.

You do not want to know how many lawn mowers go to the small engines shops because they ran out of gas. The CUT and small utility tractors are almost as bad. I know someone who called out a shop mechanic because his tractor would not start in gear (and no he can not change his own oil or hydraulic fluid either).

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #70  
Product Liability laws surely are part of the "problem".

Some years ago, I heard that Cessna (or whatever their parent company is) was held liable when one of their products crashed. It was an ageing machine (around 30 years old I seem to remember) which had languished in an open shed without maintenance for years and years, before someone decided to take it up for a spin (maybe literally!). End result was that Cessna was held responsible.

So with emissions hot news these days, hardly surprising that the company lawyers are driving the design decisions to severely limit what an end-user can do, whether any part of the machine's integrity is compromised by after-market parts, and that certified maintenance is performed as required.

Oh, and profits of course...