Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #21  
First of all did you see the byline? Emily Smith

I grew up in rural northern Vermont, I got my first .22 about the age of 8, AFTER my father had put me through about 6 months of his strict safety training. Never point unless you mean to kill, always ask permission to use a rifle shotgun or pistol, always transport unloaded unless hunting, always check weapon before and after, if you don't know assume it's loaded, keep weapons away from the untrained etc.
This included don't let older people handle weapons if you didn't trust their training.

So whoever let these boys get the weapons AND ammunition is also to blame.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #22  
tragic, simply tragic

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #24  
Hold off your judgement for a bit until the facts come out. From the article:

Deputies have the .22 caliber rifle used to kill Smith, but Crenshaw said investigators are not releasing how the boys got the rifle or why they shot at Smith.
BINGO!

There isn't really any info in any of the new releases I've read on this story that tells you anything (distance, line of sight). We also know 8 year olds only tell the truth.

What I am curious about is why they were charged so quickly. Take that back, happened about 10 days ago.

Must be more information that they aren't releasing.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #25  
"Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw says both boys shot at Danny Andrew Smith with a rifle as he rode his tractor in the field"

... the Sheriff says the boys fired at him.
New source?

The only thing I've read that was from yesterday is that the sheriff believes the intent of the boys was not to kill the man.

Oconee sheriff asks court to consider charging 8-year-old, 9-year-old in fatal shooting

When you state "the sheriff says the boys fired at him", do you mean the man on the tractor or the sheriff himself? I assume you mean man on tractor.

Thing is, if they're intentionally taking multiple shots directly at the tractor driver, don't see how the boys intent wasn't to kill the man.

I'm just wondering where you guys are getting your news sources as from what I've seen, there isn't really any information on what actually happened given.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #26  
First of all did you see the byline? Emily Smith

I grew up in rural northern Vermont, I got my first .22 about the age of 8, AFTER my father had put me through about 6 months of his strict safety training. Never point unless you mean to kill, always ask permission to use a rifle shotgun or pistol, always transport unloaded unless hunting, always check weapon before and after, if you don't know assume it's loaded, keep weapons away from the untrained etc.
This included don't let older people handle weapons if you didn't trust their training.

So whoever let these boys get the weapons AND ammunition is also to blame.
Didn't see the byline.

I completely agree with the rest of your comment and statement.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #27  
Must be more information that they aren't releasing.
And given their ages, there may not be more released in any detail.

Every article I've read is a rewording/interpretation of the OCSO press release. It's a holiday weekend, so if there are any new versions, we may not see them for a while, if at all.

My impression so far is that the kids were out plinking, maybe shootin' varmints and the guy got hit by a stray round.

Story is that he was working and didn't come home when due. Wife called him in as missing and they found him down an embankment into a tree. Nothing I've seen so far says how they determined the kids were involved. There is always a delay in these things, so it may be they told their parents who called the SO. Or not. The wording 'shot at' isn't specific to mean intent and could simply mean 'in the direction of'.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #28  
My impression so far is that the kids were out plinking, maybe shootin' varmints and the guy got hit by a stray round.
My impression as well.

However, again just scratching my head on why the sheriffs office wanted them charged.

I remember this story years back here in NC and couldn't believe they didn't charge either the boy or grandfather...

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #29  
I'm always worried about becoming a victim in a public mass shooting.

I live deep in the woods to avoid such things but not deep enough to avoid high powered guns. A while back my plumber said he and his helper had to run inside my house because they could hear gun shots and then bullets flying thru the trees above them. I'm 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor.

I'm so deaf I would never hear them.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #30  
<snip>

Thing is, if they're intentionally taking multiple shots directly at the tractor driver, don't see how the boys intent wasn't to kill the man.
<snip>
Could have been trying to shoot something else nearby, 8 & 9 year old may not be good snipers.

I'm always worried about becoming a victim in a public mass shooting.

I live deep in the woods to avoid such things but not deep enough to avoid high powered guns. A while back my plumber said he and his helper had to run inside my house because they could hear gun shots and then bullets flying thru the trees above them. I'm 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor.

I'm so deaf I would never hear them.
Deep in the woods is often where people hunt. I can remember many times being "deep in the woods" deer hunting (and down in valleys) and hearing bullets hitting the leaves 40 foot up. The shooters had no idea I was there.