Hay accumulator/grapple

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #1  

ddbackhoe

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK5310SE HSTC
Who is using what kind and how well do you like it? Started baling some smaller places that the kicker and trailer arent the easiest to use with.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #2  
I'm using a Parrish 10 bale accumulator and grapple. I really like it, but I'm no longer running up and down the roads. Not sure if I'd want to drag it down the roads or through ditches, etc. Pretty much staying right here close to home now.

I like it real well. It's super simple. Down side is that after I get done baling, I still have to go pick them up. Nothing works better than a teenage boy on a wagon behind the baler. I just got to the point where I couldn't line up help and depend on them to show up when I needed them. I really don't miss that aggravation.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #3  
I hear that. Left the small squares world 10 years ago and decided on the big bale exit strategy.
I was all set to get an accumulator and set up the barn for small squares, but it still doesnt eliminate all the handling.
With the new big bale feeders coming on line and the 2x3 and 3x3 big balers able to make a lighter big bale, it feels like small bales are an ever shrinking market. :(

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #4  
The guy that does my hay said he does a lot of hay for Amish and that they need small square bales. He uses a Kuhns accumulator and limits handling the bales.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #5  
The guy that does my hay said he does a lot of hay for Amish and that they need small square bales. He uses a Kuhns accumulator and limits handling the bales.
Yes they are a customer of mine, too over in Lancaster County

/ Hay accumulator/grapple
I hear that. Left the small squares world 10 years ago and decided on the big bale exit strategy.
I was all set to get an accumulator and set up the barn for small squares, but it still doesnt eliminate all the handling.
With the new big bale feeders coming on line and the 2x3 and 3x3 big balers able to make a lighter big bale, it feels like small bales are an ever shrinking market. :(
Horse people still love small squares. They are kinda pain in the rear market that only wants 20-40 at a time too. Nice thing is they are willing to pay for the inconvenience. We took on a new lesson barn and she contracted for 2500 small squares. No labor with or without covid so I gotta do something different. One of my buddies just bought a bale bundler last year, but that’s not in my near future budget either.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #7  

Hey Hay Dude -- how much lighter are the "smaller" BIG bales? I haven't tried to handle a big bale for several years and it was one of those monsters that 5 men couldn't move.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #8  
Typical 3x3 bales are about 700lbs. typical buyer just pulls a flake of of it and puts in stall feeder.
My 4x4s are 1500-2000lbs

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #9  
Typical 3x3 bales are about 700lbs. typical buyer just pulls a flake of of it and puts in stall feeder.
My 4x4s are 1500-2000lbs

OK. Thanks. Interesting how the technology and options for hay bale size keep evolving. It takes a totally different class of equipment to handle those big square bales.

For my small operation and the horse people that use the hay, looks like I'll be sticking with small bales that we can toss around by hand for now.

/ Hay accumulator/grapple #10  
OK. Thanks. Interesting how the technology and options for hay bale size keep evolving. It takes a totally different class of equipment to handle those big square bales.

For my small operation and the horse people that use the hay, looks like I'll be sticking with small bales that we can toss around by hand for now.
What I see horse owners doing is buying a couple of the 3x3’s and hauling home on a small single axle trailer. Back trailer into barn or throw tarp over trailer if outside, cut strings, pull flakes off as needed.
Actually looks a heck of a lot easier than handling small bales. Couple old ladies near me have been doing that for 10-15 years now. A 3x3 bale flake is just right for stall feeding.
You don’t have to buy a bunch of small bales and store them.