PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740

/ PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740 #1  

vanharlin Farms

Tractor
New Holland 7740
When I engage the pto on my 7740 it makes a rattling sound. It turns fine. This is not a grind as i would expect fm a bearing or clunk as if the gear was broken. Its a rattle as if something is loose. Also, to inspect the gear and assembly, do I have to remove the right rear axle housing as in the older models? Thanks for any help.

/ PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740 #2  
When I engage the pto on my 7740 it makes a rattling sound. It turns fine. This is not a grind as i would expect fm a bearing or clunk as if the gear was broken. Its a rattle as if something is loose. Also, to inspect the gear and assembly, do I have to remove the right rear axle housing as in the older models? Thanks for any help.
Interested with anyone's answer. I too have had the same issue. Though I haven't had the pto running in a while, and the tractor been only ran occasionally this past year/summer. I heard what sounded like a marble, rattling in the rear end . The only time it would stop, was when the clutch was pushed in if I remember right. I also thought that the lever arm linkage was out of adjustment, but the lever arm that goes into the rear end has so little movement between when the pto is engaged or not engaged that I couldn't really adjust it . if I did, then the pto would not come out of rotating, and if I moved the nut a thread or so in the other direction it wouldn't engage at all. The hand lever is up by my right hip, and has a out 4" movement from on to off, but the actual lever arm that comes out of the rear end moves less then 1/4". And even a 1/16" of an inch I found made a difference to being engaged or not. If I don't have that hand lever right up until it brings up in the slot/fender, It may grind. Anyway, Sorry I can't be of help, But Im interested in hearing any responses you may get.

/ PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740 #3  
Could this be causing your rattle?

/ PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740
Interested with anyone's answer. I too have had the same issue. Though I haven't had the pto running in a while, and the tractor been only ran occasionally this past year/summer. I heard what sounded like a marble, rattling in the rear end . The only time it would stop, was when the clutch was pushed in if I remember right. I also thought that the lever arm linkage was out of adjustment, but the lever arm that goes into the rear end has so little movement between when the pto is engaged or not engaged that I couldn't really adjust it . if I did, then the pto would not come out of rotating, and if I moved the nut a thread or so in the other direction it wouldn't engage at all. The hand lever is up by my right hip, and has a out 4" movement from on to off, but the actual lever arm that comes out of the rear end moves less then 1/4". And even a 1/16" of an inch I found made a difference to being engaged or not. If I don't have that hand lever right up until it brings up in the slot/fender, It may grind. Anyway, Sorry I can't be of help, But Im interested in hearing any responses you may get.
!st I would like to know if your noise went away when you elevated the tractor rpm. Mine does. Secondly, it sounds as if you have a live pto which is ran by the clutch rather than being an independent which is operated by hydraulic pressure. Sounds as if the cable operating your lower lever might be frayed or damaged therefore not working the bottom lever properly. You probably have already done so, but if not, disconnect the cable from bottom lever and see if you have more movement. Could be a new cable is all you need.

/ PTO problem on 1997 Ford/Newholland 7740 #5  
!st I would like to know if your noise went away when you elevated the tractor rpm. Mine does. Secondly, it sounds as if you have a live pto which is ran by the clutch rather than being an independent which is operated by hydraulic pressure. Sounds as if the cable operating your lower lever might be frayed or damaged therefore not working the bottom lever properly. You probably have already done so, but if not, disconnect the cable from bottom lever and see if you have more movement. Could be a new cable is all you need.
no cable on this one. its a lever by your hip, and tie-rod from that, back to the lever that protrudes from the side of the rear end. I did however disconnect, and the lever from the pto housing does have more movement , and actually detents into a position. But I cannot adjust it. when I moved the lever that comes from the rear end all the way forward, and adjusted the tie-rod so my hand lever was also all the way forward while they were connected, then when I moved my lever all the way back, the pto wouldn't disengage.

when I moved my lever protruding from the pto housing all the way back by hand with the tie-rod disconnected, and then connected my hand lever up while it was all the way back, adjusting the tie-rod to make the connection, then when I moved my lever all the way forward, my pto wouldn't engage or grind even. I cannot seem to adjust the lever tie-rod connection other then what it is now. and the movement, even though its a good 3.5 to 4 inches on the hand lever, is not much more then 3/16" back on the lever sticking out from the pto housing. If I remember correctly. Not much movement back there. I can move it when its disconnected from the hand lever by another 1/16" to a detent by hand however, which I feel is where it should be.

All that said, I had the pto running yesterday for a little while with nothing on it and never heard anything. I used the snow blower last winter a bit also. Not sure if lack of use had anything to do with it. I only have the snow blower right now as a pto attachment. And the gf didn't want me using the tractor by her house, so for years the pto wasn't getting used or turned on. So yesterday when I had it going, I turned both pto's on and left them running for 20 minutes while I was loading some gravel. I have to move the snow blower in the next day or two, and when I do, I'll run the snow blower for 20 minutes also. Not sure if that does anything, but lack of use sometimes does more harm then good too. My pto I think runs on a sprag clutch I think. so you should be able to rotate it one way, but not the other. (overrunning clutch)