Tractor wont start on incline

/ Tractor wont start on incline #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
I was digging a trench uphill and tractor lost power and won't start, seems like a fuel issue as it turns over, but maybe there is some safety shutoff I am not aware of? I've run into something similar before when tractor drove into a ditch with rear wheels, but it recovered after a bit.
Estimating slope to be around 30%

Attachments

• 16264434699021694048866.jpg
    16264434699021694048866.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 120
   / Tractor wont start on incline #2  
There's a small fuel lift pump on the side of the engine, below the injection pump, that might be the issue - with the tractor on level ground the tank is above the engine - the lift pump doesn't have much lifting to do, but if the tractor is sloped backward the fuel may not be getting to the main pump. (more likely to act up when tank level is getting low)

L3430 lift pump.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tractor wont start on incline
Is there any way to check other than replace? Easy to replace for beginners?
Edit:
Called local equipment company, $160 or so incl bracket, worth a shot.

Last edited:
   / Tractor wont start on incline #4  
Yes and yes - take it off (2 screws) and test it in your hands. Push the button that sticks into the engine, holding a finger in turn over each pipe. One should suck, the other should blow. If they don't there's a failed diaphragm inside (not serviceable like the old ones on chevys were)
Edit:
Called local equipment company, $160 or so incl bracket, worth a shot.

That's nuts. If it fails the finger test, a new one is under $20.

If the fuel tank level is low, try putting in a few gallons - might get it going - open the thumbscrew bleeder valve to bypass any air back to the tank - close it once its running.

Last edited:
   / Tractor wont start on incline #5  
The first thing I'd do is check and/or replace the fuel filter. Every time I've had an issue with fuel while going up hill the cause was the fuel filter. A lot cheaper and easier to check than assuming the pump is bad without looking at less severe possibilities first.

It was puffing smoke w/o starting earlier on, but after sitting for a day (while charging battery) no smoke is coming out at all.. Will mess with it in the morning when it cools down...

Edit:
Plan to bleed air, test the pump, and probably put a new battery in.
I did add 5 gallons of fuel, it's nearly full, and it was probably around quarter tank at time of the issue.

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is check and/or replace the fuel filter. Every time I've had an issue with fuel while going up hill the cause was the fuel filter. A lot cheaper and easier to check than assuming the pump is bad without looking at less severe possibilities first.
What's the logical explanation of fuel filter being a problem uphill only?

/ Tractor wont start on incline #8  
1/4 tank on angle maybe fuel pickup was out of fuel? Might have to bleed fuel filter if it has the pump style on housing? Might be air in fuel system from starvation?

/ Tractor wont start on incline #9  
Good question, I have seen bowl type separators do this also if they had a goodly quantity of water in them. Filter I would guess it was nearly plugged or highly contaminated and the angle of the dangle precluded fuel flow.

I have also had floating debris in the tank plug the pick up at just the right fuel level or incline. Someone said above to add fuel and see if it help, that is a great idea. I would change the filter before the lift pump.

Best,

ed

/ Tractor wont start on incline #10  
Going to be honest I have no idea what the logic is. What I know is that I have a steep driveway and in the past I have had a tractor that when the fuel filter was plugged or dirty I could not drive up the hill without it either loosing power of outright dying, but ran fine going downhill or backing up the hill. Both times this happened to me I changed the filter and that corrected the problem. In both cases the filter did not look dirty to me nor did it appear that they had water in them. 🤷‍♂️

Could it be that the fuel pump was weak or not functioning at 100%, again 🤷‍♂️ but it ran for years without needing to have the pump replace after the first time it happened.

At any rate its a lot easier and cheaper to change a filter than to do anything else and if my new tractor acted the same way it would be the first thing I'd try because of the experience I've had and the fact that I always have a new filter sitting on a self. Maybe if it does happen I'll have to have the fuel pump pressure tested.