Propane costs up

/ Propane costs up #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
One downside to living remotely is the lack of natural gas supply. I have a line running through my property but it runs from the wells to the compressor station....so close and yet so far.

Got my pre-buy contract yesterday. Last year we were at $1.20/gal and this year we are at $1.60. 33% cost increase. About 65% of my heat is supplied by firewood and I have at least four years worth. But many older folks cannot deal with wood so are dependent on propane.

Glad I have come up with a very low labor method of processing and moving firewood.

/ Propane costs up #2  
One downside to living remotely is the lack of natural gas supply. I have a line running through my property but it runs from the wells to the compressor station....so close and yet so far.

Got my pre-buy contract yesterday. Last year we were at $1.20/gal and this year we are at $1.60. 33% cost increase. About 65% of my heat is supplied by firewood and I have at least four years worth. But many older folks cannot deal with wood so are dependent on propane.

Glad I have come up with a very low labor method of processing and moving firewood.
Our propane has been over $4 a gallon for years. Thankful that I don't heat with it. In-Laws heat with propane supplemented with wood. They are in their mid 80s and have never liked heating oil heat because of the stink and storage issue.

/ Propane costs up #3  
A year ago most propane prices here were especially low. Covid made the market wonky. Prices then were around $2.20 and now they're more like $2.75.

The good part about our cost of propane is that we save a lot of $$ for every cord I cut and split.

/ Propane costs up #4  
A year ago most propane prices here were especially low. Covid made the market wonky. Prices then were around $2.20 and now they're more like $2.75.

The good part about our cost of propane is that we save a lot of $$ for every cord I cut and split.
$250-$275 a cord for spruce locally, you pick up. No cheap heating options here.

/ Propane costs up #5  
LP prices have been all over the place for the last 20 years. I've seen it as low as 90 cents/gal and up to around $3. It's all about supply.

/ Propane costs up #6  
LP prices have been all over the place for the last 20 years. I've seen it as low as 90 cents/gal and up to around $3. It's all about supply.
I think it's all about greed. Markets are manipulated and seldom to the consumers benefit.

/ Propane costs up #7  
Propane in the desert is even more ridiculous. I have Amerigas and I have to pay a fee of $139 a year for the ”privilege” of getting gas at $3.29 per gallon , year round price. When you add the additional fees that charge plus prorated contract fee it’s over $3.60 a gallon. The only other source out here is Ferrellgas who is more expensive at $4.00+ per gallon. Can you spell M O N O P O L Y AND G O U G E?

This past year I changed my water heater to electric and that resulted to a significant savings.

I have also considered changing my heat over to electric but with regular outages that might leave me in a bind. I have a standby generator, but it would not be sufficient for electric heat.

/ Propane costs up #9  
Propane in the desert is even more ridiculous. I have Amerigas and I have to pay a fee of $139 a year for the ”privilege” of getting gas at $3.29 per gallon , year round price. When you add the additional fees that charge plus prorated contract fee it’s over $3.60 a gallon. The only other source out here is Ferrellgas who is more expensive at $4.00+ per gallon. Can you spell M O N O P O L Y AND G O U G E?

This past year I changed my water heater to electric and that resulted to a significant savings.

I have also considered changing my heat over to electric but with regular outages that might leave me in a bind. I have a standby generator, but it would not be sufficient for electric heat.
We bought two 1000 gallon tanks 20+ years ago. That's 1600 gallons of usable capacity, and typically we go through 900-1100 gallons in a year, so we call every vendor during the low point in summer for their best price.

Amerigas in summer is about 239 here usually (low point in year + bulk delivery - often well into $3 range in the winter but I only know this from others complaining), and we've paid 139-149 every year for at least the last 6 years. Not sure what it'll be this year yet.

Buy your own tanks if you can.

/ Propane costs up #10  
Isn’t wood burning being attacked by elites? Are you folks who rely on wood for heat concerned?

MoKelly
You can buy high-efficiency wood stoves (actually you have to). I suspect wood burning will be possible for at least 20 years yet, possibly more. Firewood cutters contribute to wildfire prevention, right? 😁