Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #1  

DanielDD

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5090E
I bought it last year (gear drive model) in June. It has 131 hours on it. FEL with canopy and bucket level indicator. After buying it I quickly realized it was too small for the task at hand. I needed a much larger tractor, with a cab that would pull a 12 foot bat wing. I have bought a new tractor and it will be delivered here on Monday.

So, I'm selling my L3901. I posted it to Facebook Marketplace, advertising it for $21.5K. I got several inquiries, some offering me $17K & $18K. My bottom dollar price was going to be $20K. I got an offer tonight for $19K, so I'm ruminating on whether I should take the offer or wait until a better offer comes along. I paid $23,750 OTD last year for it, so if I take the $19K offer, I'm gonna lose $4800. Don't know if I can stomach that kind of loss.

I figured with the market so incredibly tight right now for compact tractors, I would be able to get what I was originally asking. Seems I may be wrong. Our local Kubota dealer has NO compact tractors and if you order one it could be up to 6 months before it arrives.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #2  
Just wait, it will sell.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #3  
As Walker said, just be patient and you may very well sell it for a price much closer to your expectations.

There is a section on this forum where you can post your tractor for sale too. Maybe that helps a little bit.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #4  
With the price increases, wait times, and no dealer haggling, you probably could get what you paid for it.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #6  
I bought it last year (gear drive model) in June. It has 131 hours on it.

I figured with the market so incredibly tight right now for compact tractors, I would be able to get what I was originally asking. Seems I may be wrong. Our local Kubota dealer has NO compact tractors and if you order one it could be up to 6 months before it arrives.
Have you talked to them? Why didn't you trade it against the new one?

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #7  
Coulda saved the 9.55% sales tax on the trade in value too. Now you're paying a couple grand extra just in taxes.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901
Have you talked to them? Why didn't you trade it against the new one?
I talked to Kubota late last year about trading it in but I was sorely disappointed in what they offered me, it was almost embarrassing.

/ Thoughts on Pricing - Selling my L3901 #10  
There are several of that model currently for sale on the web-ebay & FB. I saw your ad. There a 2014 Kubota L4600 on there with more hours than yours that sold in a short time. Also watch the ebay auction for same tractor.

I don't have a KY farm card'tax free write off as retired from that, so a private sale saves me 6% over a dealer buy in KY. If I buy here from a dealer there records are audited by the state and I'll get hot with taxes if I cheat. Happened to me with interest penalty buying a UTV some years back.

I don't know which or if certain states if I buy from a dealer will not charge me sales tax on a new or used tractor? Since there's no title it's possible on a tractor if they don't tax out of state buyers?

Kubota's sell fast and high. Give you one guess why I buy another brand, and it's not that I dislike Kubotas.

Dealers often have no merchandise right now and it will get worse due to new ***** child credit checks that are now being sent out as we speak. Even high incomes in 6 figures are getting these checks.

My own dilemma is how long do I wait to find out what's wrong with my current dead tractor?-or buy a 2nd one when the deals at hand???

Last edited: