trailer without brakes - max weight

/ trailer without brakes - max weight
Thank you for the feedback. I understand how important brakes are especially when you get to a certain point of weight being towed. What I’m really trying to figure out is what is that total weight amount If it was behind a Jeep Gladiator or Dodge Ram 1500? The trailers are in completely different weight classes and price points. with availability issues it could be 3500 plus for tandem with brakes and 1500 for small single. Yes i understand 2990 total. for ATV UTV this will be transport to and from dealer for warranty repair if needed. Other than that maybe some very light weight runs to goodwill etc. So I concede that brakes are better at a certain point. The question is what is the limit for you without them?

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #22  
Thank you for the feedback. I understand how important brakes are especially when you get to a certain point of weight being towed. What I’m really trying to figure out is what is that total weight amount If it was behind a Jeep Gladiator or Dodge Ram 1500? The trailers are in completely different weight classes and price points. with availability issues it could be 3500 plus for tandem with brakes and 1500 for small single. Yes i understand 2990 total. for ATV UTV this will be transport to and from dealer for warranty repair if needed. Other than that maybe some very light weight runs to goodwill etc. So I concede that brakes are better at a certain point. The question is what is the limit for you without them?
I think a lot of it has to do with your driving style and which vehicle you are pulling it with. I have a friend who is a very aggressive driver, tends to push things to the limit. However, adding trailer brakes to a trailer he is towing, simply adds to his ability to get a little closer to the car in front before backing off. Pulling a trailer without brakes isn't something I haven't done, because I have, many times. However, what really matters is your driving awareness when doing it. Behind those two vehicles, I would think I would start worrying at around 2000 pounds behind my half ton Chevy.
Many years ago, I lost the air compressor on a tractor trailer. I was pulling a load of Mail, plus I had appointments the next morning, and was 65 miles from home. I got another driver to charge up my air tanks and I drove the 65 miles, several traffic lights, and turns to the terminal where it could be repaired. I knew that if I touched the brakes, it would stop, however, I also knew that I only had 1 or MAYBE 2 at the most chances of stopping before the brakes locked down and the whole rig was planted where I was at. I never touched the brakes, simply downshifted and coasted up to every intersection where I might have to stop. It took a lot longer to get back than it should have, but made me realize that we depend on brakes a lot! If you drove like you didn't have any brakes at all, then driving without trailer brakes wouldn't matter as much.
I think the driver is more of a consideration than the weight, but in most cases, the weight is all we can control, because very few of us see flaws in our own driving. ME INCLUDED!!
David from jax

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #23  
That's a judgement call. Years ago I had my snowsled on a trailer behind my Dakota, driving on a snow covered road. It was a light load and I was fine until some bonehead in a parking lot looked right at me, pulled out and cut me off. After braking I checked my mirror and saw the trailer had jackknifed completely around into the other lane and oncoming traffic. I quickly punched it, cut the wheel and into the parking lot then kept going. About 1/2 mile down the road I pulled off because I was shaking so bad I couldn't drive.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #24  
We have two trailers both without brakes. You at 3K is getting close to where they'd be good to have in my book. One of our trailers might be close to or over 3k.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #25  
Many towns now charge to get rid of white goods, furniture and tires. Some even require you to buy bags for household waste disposal.
That cuts into people's beer money though, so rather than paying they just take their trash out and dump it on the side of the road.
Yes, and at one time U paid to dispose of tires so I awoke to find 9 dumped in my ditch.
That woke them real fast so now the tire fee is prepaid.

Now the bulk pickup has been cut back from monthly to 3 X annual so junk often spends months roadside. (Kind of difficult to store bulky items for months if U are in a condo or apartment,)

Hot water tanks is now the new problem as many insurers and condo associations are mandating 10 year replacement. (our condo has twice been flooded by neighbor tanks)

Last edited:
   / trailer without brakes - max weight #26  
If you read my prior post about getting pushed through a loose gravel intersection with a 6x12 no brake single axle behind my 2011 Ram 1500 4 wheel antilock you will want the brakes on a trailer. I pulled that same trailer for 10 years prior to getting the Ram with a 96 Dakota rear antilock only and never had pushing issues. Don't rely on your vehicle brakes to stop you in certain road conditions.
xThank you for the feedback. I understand how important brakes are especially when you get to a certain point of weight being towed. What I’m really trying to figure out is what is that total weight amount If it was behind a Jeep Gladiator or Dodge Ram 1500? The trailers are in completely different weight classes and price points. with availability issues it could be 3500 plus for tandem with brakes and 1500 for small single. Yes i understand 2990 total. for ATV UTV this will be transport to and from dealer for warranty repair if needed. Other than that maybe some very light weight runs to goodwill etc. So I concede that brakes are better at a certain point. The question is what is the limit for you without them?

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #27  
I have a handy little 3500lb single axle trailer I bought in 2010.
No brakes

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / trailer without brakes - max weight #28  
So I concede that brakes are better at a certain point. The question is what is the limit for you without them?
In reasonable driving conditions like a bit of rain, but no snow or ice or loose gravel roads or what have you, half the weight of the tow vehicle. You'd need to drive carefully and gently at the maximum, but I'd no problems doing so -- you always need to be gentle when at the max. Of course this is actual loaded weight, not rated weight.

For most SUVs that'd be around 2000lbs. Most half tons around 2700 pounds. 3/4-ton and above, 3500 pounds or more.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #29  
Many towns now charge to get rid of white goods, furniture and tires. Some even require you to buy bags for household waste disposal.
That cuts into people's beer money though, so rather than paying they just take their trash out and dump it on the side of the road.
My town charges for tires, furniture (goes into the "demolition" bin) and appliances with freon. Stoves, washers, HW heaters, etc. just go in the metal pile. They also require special bags for trash, but we generate so little (wastebasket size trash bag every couple weeks) I'll just put it in the trash can at a gas station, Walmart, etc.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #30  
I'll just put it in the trash can at a gas station, Walmart, etc.

Disposal of household waste that way is called littering here. I was just in the local general store yesterday, where the owner was complaining that somebody had left 5 bags of waste there.

I can get rid of anything at my transfer station but not many towns are that way. A few years ago one of our logging contractors found a couch at lunchtime which wasn't there that morning. The local forest ranger was called, and he found an envelope with a name down inside
the cushions. Somebody had driven 50 miles to dump it... 12 hours later he got it back, along with a summons.