trailer without brakes - max weight

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #41  
CHECK YOUR STATE TRAFFIC LAWS! Unfortunately they differ from state to state. In addition to service brake requirements, many states have break-away requirements where the trailer brakes apply automatically if the trailer uncouples from the tow vehicle. In Nevada you can (and probably will) be criminally charged if you are involved in a serious accident while towing and the accident investigation team determines that your GVW (trailer plus load weight) meets the trailer braking requirement and you don't have proper brakes or they are not functional. Also some states require brakes on ALL axles, not just one. I'm near the borders with California and Oregon so I need to make sure my equipment is legal in all of those states.

While on the subject, some states (such as Nevada) also check tire ratings against the vehicle's GVW in the event of a traffic stop or accident. I tend to run Load Range E tires just to be safe. Plus they are more stable on winding roads. But remember, the ACTUAL rating (not just what's on the tire sidewall) is dependent upon tire pressure. A Load Range E tire filled only to 65 psi is down rated to Load Range D. Understandably a trailer that is generally used for light service might best run on lower pressures to save center tread tire wear, but if you're heavily loaded, such as hauling a tractor or backhoe, you should bring all your tires up to their rated pressures.

Avoid a ticket and avoid an accident. Check with your highway patrol or DMV for the regs that apply to you.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #42  
Depending on the year of your RAM truck, max payload in the bed is approx. ,1900# - 2,300# That should give you some idea of the stopping capacity the OEM feels is safe limit for the brakes. Whether weight is in the bed or on the trailer behind, the truck brakes still have to stop it all. Personally, I would prefer a trailer, as you described for your needs, with brakes.

Many years ago, Was towing a 20' boat on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. Tow vehicle was full size Olds stations wagon with 454. Had to make a panic stop. Even with brakes, the push of the trailer lifted up enough on the rear of the vehicle to partially unload the tires, to the extent most of the vehicle braking power was only on the front wheels + the trailer brakes. Result = slid through the intersection to the far side. Fortunately no other vehicles at the time. With truck being high and trailer probably low, when loaded, you will likely get some of the same effect with your proposed rig = longer stopping distance.

As with many things in life. It will work with no trailer brakes until it the time it doesn't.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #43  
As a very young man I had access to a place full of black locust but it was way to the south. But the quality of the fire wood made it worth the trip. On the way home I approached an intersection and the light turned yellow. I thought I'd better stop. So a FJ40 Landcruiser and 8' pickup trailer fully loaded squealed clear through the intersection. The swampers screaming were louder than the horn.

Needless to say I learned a real lesson that day that I never forgot. Anything other than a light utility trailer always had brakes from then onward.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #44  
Question 3: §393.42(b)(3) of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations FMCSRs states that any full trailer, any semitrailer, or any pole trailer having a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 3,000 pounds or less must be equipped with brakes if the weight of the towed vehicle resting on the towing vehicle exceeds 40 percent of the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the towing vehicle.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #45  
single axle, 3500 max weight- no brakes required
dual axle or more- brakes on trailer required.
What is pulling it is not a part of the equation for DOT regulations.

There are two separate discussions... what the law says and what the reasonable, common-sense precaution is.

Seriously, what is the value you put on the occupants of your tow vehicle? Brakes on trailers to offset the additional weight become invaluable during an emergency situation. Remember, you are dealing with the motoring public, and they have been known to do things that make me glad i bought trailer brakes!
The trailer brakes aren't there for you, as you will learn to stop with what you have, they are there to protect you and your family from the rest of the world!
David from jax

If you read my prior post about getting pushed through a loose gravel intersection with a 6x12 no brake single axle behind my 2011 Ram 1500 4 wheel antilock you will want the brakes on a trailer. I pulled that same trailer for 10 years prior to getting the Ram with a 96 Dakota rear antilock only and never had pushing issues. Don't rely on your vehicle brakes to stop you in certain road conditions.

There are numerous variables but the most basic one is "tow vehicle weight to towed load weight ratio," or whatever you want to call it. For instance I think most would agree that 2:1 is a good ratio. As that ratio gets worse you will want to get proportionately more defensive/careful.

Regarding precautions, one incident is enough to make trailer brakes worth it. The thing is, your incident might never happen, or it might happen more than once and you'll never be able to predict when it will happen because you don't have control over some idiot pulling in front of you with no room to spare.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #46  
i have a small skidsteer that weighs 3300lbs and a small excavator that is a little over that. for years i towed them in a 6x10 single axle trailer with no brakes and often behind a toyota tundra that i don't even consider a true half ton truck. No issues ever. I just made sure the load was balanced. yes you can feel the load on your vehicle brakes but it never felt dangerous. Now I use a tandem dump trailer with electric brakes and it feels extremely secure no matter how much i haul. If you have the money go heavier duty, if not the other option will easily work for you.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #47  
It looks like 3000 GVW and above is where most companies install brakes on their trailers. I am thinking about a 6x14 single axle without brakes for ATV UTV etc transport. This would be below the 3000 lb threshold but how comfortable are you towing 2500 without brakes? is there a max weight without brakes you are ok with occasionally? thinking of a Gladiator or full size Ram tow vehicle. I could see a 20 or 40 mile trip for repairs with a total weight of 2500 or less. I could also see a 3 mile trip on my back road to moms house fully loaded once or twice in the next few years.
I've hauled 21,000 lbs without brakes. But, I need to get legal in my old age. I drove my brothers 3/4 ton on the scales 47,500 lbs. We tried to keep it around 50,000 lbs. They never gave us a ticket. Somebody we know got one for five grand, so we get our stuff hauled with a big truck now.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #48  
As a very young man I had access to a place full of black locust but it was way to the south. But the quality of the fire wood made it worth the trip. On the way home I approached an intersection and the light turned yellow. I thought I'd better stop. So a FJ40 Landcruiser and 8' pickup trailer fully loaded squealed clear through the intersection. The swampers screaming were louder than the horn.

Needless to say I learned a real lesson that day that I never forgot. Anything other than a light utility trailer always had brakes from then onward.
Had similar occurrence.

Had loaded my 3/4 ton 4x4 and trailer with some donated top soil.
AND he really loaded me!
Came to a stop light that was red and I was at the point of selecting which was best direction to crash and avoid vehicles and pedestrians.
Fortunately the light changed and the sole stopped car stomped the gas and sped away.
The only damage was to my shorts. Lesson learned!

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #49  
I spent almost 10 years towing this every weekend of the winter, without brakes. Not saying it was right, but the fact that 80% of my driving was on snow made me always think and plan. (Amazing how many times a 4x4 blasts by you on the expressway not realizing they are on ice and couldn't stop or turn if they tried)

Next trailer had brakes, man are they nice!
SledTrailer4.jpg

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #50  
If you are pulling with a half ton or bigger truck I would not be worried about brakes. If you are building it and not much more add the brakes. I personally would rather have the brakes than not. May never happen, but if you have to brake hard the trailer may over run the truck and jack knife without them.