Mowing Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?
My brother bought a new unused rototiller from a dealer some years ago and it hit some hard material and killed the tractor. We thought that it was interesting as it had a slip clutch in the PTO shaft. We thought maybe it was adjusted too tightly for his tractor HP so we loosened the bolts on the clutch and even with the bolts totally slacked off, the clutch would not slip. It was rusted solid.
Called the dealer and said they had never seen that before.... All of the new tillers were sitting in the rain waiting to be sold.

That’s a shame and is exactly why I started this thread. What a shame. I guess it’s not cost effective to cover all or most items from the elements but it does make it challenging when an implement is being delivered from another state sight unseen.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #12  
I just bought a 2016 flail mower from my dealer. Of course I was all in on the age and the fact that it had never been hooked behind a tractor before. Joe showed me the invoice for $7500 and sold it to me for $5000. That's less than half of a new one. I'll take the faded paint for that price.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #13  
I bought my dual spindle rotary cutter for almost $1,000 less than one dealer and ~$600 less than another. It was "new" but likely sitting on the lot for a while. Looked like new, had never been set up. I think the difference was that the other two had to order it from the manufacturer but the dealer where I bought mine already had been carrying it in stock, likely from before the big "Covid" price increases. So there may be advantages of buying old "new" implements. I scored like a bandit.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #14  
It certainly seems to be "normal" with TSC, but I only buy dog food at TSC.
I would buy the implement before I would buy dog food from them . . . ;)

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #15  
They actually have some really quality dog foods as well as some not so quality. When I had my German Shorthair she ate their Blue Diamond.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #16  
If it's been sitting at a dealer for a couple years and/or has faded paint, I would expect another 10% off or they can keep it. They know I don't care one way or the other so that's the way it is if they want me to buy it. The dealer is stuck and would love to unload that aged merchandise.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #17  
So there may be advantages of buying old "new" implements. I scored like a bandit.
+++ +++
Yes... That can be an advantage...
Pretty much my attitude.. They wouldn't budge on the price of a JD 5' brush hog... I walked... Pretty soon they were calling to say they "found some room" on the price... Too late.. I did better elsewhere.. Just the kind of SOB I am...
x x x
even with the bolts totally slacked off, the clutch would not slip. It was rusted solid.
Called the dealer and said they had never seen that before
+++ +++
They either lied or don't know squat about equipment... They obviously never read an owners manual for anything with a slip clutch..

Every thing I ever owned with a slip clutch, the owners manual clearly said to "burn in" the clutch each season before use...

My 5 cents of experience and opinion...

If it's been sitting at a dealer for a couple years and/or has faded paint, I would expect another 10% off or they can keep it. They know I don't care one way or the other so that's the way it is if they want me to buy it. The dealer is stuck and would love to unload that aged merchandise.

I like the way you think, thanks for your input!

So there may be advantages of buying old "new" implements. I scored like a bandit.
+++ +++
Yes... That can be an advantage...
Pretty much my attitude.. They wouldn't budge on the price of a JD 5' brush hog... I walked... Pretty soon they were calling to say they "found some room" on the price... Too late.. I did better elsewhere.. Just the kind of SOB I am...
x x x
even with the bolts totally slacked off, the clutch would not slip. It was rusted solid.
Called the dealer and said they had never seen that before
+++ +++
They either lied or don't know squat about equipment... They obviously never read an owners manual for anything with a slip clutch..

Every thing I ever owned with a slip clutch, the owners manual clearly said to "burn in" the clutch each season before use...

My 5 cents of experience and opinion...

Sounds like I need to be more firm. Thanks for your input!

I bought my dual spindle rotary cutter for almost $1,000 less than one dealer and ~$600 less than another. It was "new" but likely sitting on the lot for a while. Looked like new, had never been set up. I think the difference was that the other two had to order it from the manufacturer but the dealer where I bought mine already had been carrying it in stock, likely from before the big "Covid" price increases. So there may be advantages of buying old "new" implements. I scored like a bandit.

I’m going to see if I can get more off of the price after I see pictures. Thanks for your input!