What is your favorite Quote or Saying?

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,923  
"Well, Excu-u-use Me !"

-Steve Martin

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,925  
Smarter than the average bear.

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,926  
“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” — Spock

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,927  
“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” — Spock

Not that I'm stinkin' wealthy, but compared to growing up below the standardized poverty level we have far more than I would have ever imagined.

It's not so much that it's less pleasing as it is recognizing you (I) have a responsibility to do the right thing with my abundance. That is not fun or easy for me. I'd rather just hog it all and blow it. But I know that's not right, so I need to take the time to figure out how and where to apply it. And no, it's not throwing $100s at the guys standing on corners with signs.

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,928  
Not that I'm stinkin' wealthy, but compared to growing up below the standardized poverty level we have far more than I would have ever imagined.

It's not so much that it's less pleasing as it is recognizing you (I) have a responsibility to do the right thing with my abundance. That is not fun or easy for me. I'd rather just hog it all and blow it. But I know that's not right, so I need to take the time to figure out how and where to apply it. And no, it's not throwing $100s at the guys standing on corners with signs.
I consider myself to be very blessed. I think the times when I had very little and struggled, helped me have more appreciation and a better perspective of my life. The appreciation has caused empathy and compassion for others. Perspective causes me to have respect when I see others hard work and self sacrifice. As for the ones on the corner with the sign, I don’t mind helping someone if they need a meal, maybe they need a beer, or maybe I’m contributing to keeping them from breaking into my neighbors house. I would imagine standing out there with that sign has carry a lot of humiliation.

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,929  
Mallet
What is your story behind changing some of your threads to "Delete" in the title and removing content?

Get to know some of those standing on the street corners by trying to hire them. You may, as I did, find out that they get more money per hour on the corner than you are willing to pay.
They are not dumb, and are smarter than those who toss them sympathy money.

/ What is your favorite Quote or Saying? #5,930  
Get to know some of those standing on the street corners by trying to hire them. You may, as I did, find out that they get more money per hour on the corner than you are willing to pay.
They are not dumb, and are smarter than those who toss them sympathy money.
I feel empathy and compassion for most. Yes I agree ,some are experts in begging at the street corner (better than burglarizing homes). I have talked with some over the recent years and discovered many different reasons for them being in their situation. Way too many to discuss here.

Respect; I worked extremely hard during my career, everyone around me worked hard as well and many projects were in uncomfortable (sometimes miserable) circumstances. To qualify for the lowest non-skilled labor position on any crew was: 1-work hard. 2- Good attitude. 3-Above all, be honest. What this earned a new worker immediately was respect. We tried hiring from the ‘day labor’ companies on 2 different occasions and that turned out to be a waste of time ,money and energy. As for hiring someone off the street corner? That would never happen. If we needed a truck unloaded quickly we would go to the nearest Home Depot parking lot and there is always some guys willing to work hard for a few hours and get paid in cash. Sometimes a language barrier , but a good attitude a few words of English , a few Spanish and the rest in common sign language and we could get things done. :)