Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
When I replaced my GPI hand pump with a Fil-rite electric pump about a year or so ago, I stored the GPI inside my shop in the parts store. It worked fine I had installed and using it for pumping farm diesel for my tractor, RTV and ZTR.

I recently bought a 50 gallon fuel tank and installed the GPI onto the tank. Filled it with gas and went to fuel my new RTV-XG850. Pump handle was extremely hard to move. It also didn't appear to move any fuel, although it was hard to tell since I couldn't move the handle much if at all.

I'll get the actual pump number shortly, but it looks like this:

031401114010.jpg

Anyone experience this before? Solutions or suggestions? I really don't want to have to replace this pump; a hand pump is still ~$200 with another Fil-rite at around $300.

Thanks,

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #2  
I don't use manual pumps very much but I keep 2 of those el cheapo chinese pumps on hand when I need one. I think I paid $25 each for them and they work really well. If one fails I'll throw it away and replace it. Now I don't buy cheap electric transfer pumps. I have 2 Fil Rites and a GasBoy.

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #3  
Maybe lube up the moving parts. It probably just needs to be cleaned up.

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps
Workonit, I did grease the plunger before starting, see pics below. No markings other than the GPI and Kansas City MO plus the little notice on top:

IMG_1480 (Large).jpeg

IMG_1481 (Large).jpeg

IMG_1482 (Large).jpeg

IMG_1484 (Large).jpeg

IMG_1485 (Large).jpeg

After further research, I believe I have found the problem. Other than being installed on another tank, this is the only thing that has changed:

7MGmCw5.jpg

Per the Husky nozzle site, I get this:

"Pressure activated, automatic shut-off nozzle for full-service and self-service stations."

"Features/Benefits

• Husky XS® nozzle shuts off when: the pump shuts off, the gas tank is full, the lever is opened before the pump is turned on, or the leak detector has not completed its test cycle."

The previous nozzle on this pump was just an open ended AL nozzle, which I despised. You could never fully empty the fuel line, so you constantly spilled fuel each and every time I used the fuel tank, pump and nozzle. :(

So I ask JEM Sales what kind of nozzle will work with a hand fuel pump; they respond with this manual fuel nozzle: GPI 3/4 in. Manual Unleaded Farm Nozzle

18-7338-Product_Primary_Image__88357.1482873173__27981.1505313122__00581.1564006523.jpg

It says it's specifically designed for gravity feed, which I assume will work for hand pump types as well.

But can someone explain how this nozzle is supposed to work with a hand pump? The nozzle is manual, with no "hold open" device, so you have to have a hand holding it open while you pump. The other hand is needed to pump the pump. And it doesn't have an auto close feature, which means it's easy to over fill (read: SPILL) fuel. What's the point of a hose if you have to be <4' from fuel tank to the vehicle being fueled?

Is there a nozzle that will work with a hand fuel pump and have an auto shutoff when the tank is full? I'm not gong back to spilling fuel everytime I refuel something.

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #7  
So I ask JEM Sales what kind of nozzle will work with a hand fuel pump; they respond with this manual fuel nozzle: GPI 3/4 in. Manual Unleaded Farm Nozzle

18-7338-Product_Primary_Image__88357.1482873173__27981.1505313122__00581.1564006523.jpg

It says it's specifically designed for gravity feed, which I assume will work for hand pump types as well.

But can someone explain how this nozzle is supposed to work with a hand pump? The nozzle is manual, with no "hold open" device, so you have to have a hand holding it open while you pump. The other hand is needed to pump the pump. And it doesn't have an auto close feature, which means it's easy to over fill (read: SPILL) fuel. What's the point of a hose if you have to be <4' from fuel tank to the vehicle being fueled?

Is there a nozzle that will work with a hand fuel pump and have an auto shutoff when the tank is full? I'm not gong back to spilling fuel everytime I refuel something.
I have one on my hand pump and place a board in the handle when in use the take it out when I'm finished.

I have one on my hand pump and place a board in the handle when in use the take it out when I'm finished.
That's the easy part. How do you keep it from overfilling i.e. spilling when it gets fuel?

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #9  
I have that same pump and the end of the fuel line is just an open nozzle, no handle or valve. Mine is black plastic. It's what came with the pump. You can see it on your first photo, on the left, where it hooks/tucks into a little hood on the valve body. I never really had a problem with it or had any spills.

I have the other nozzle you show in post #6, but that one is attached to a 12V electric pump I have in my generator shed, in order to rotate that diesel out for use in my equipment. Only reason that is "needed" with an electric pump is that it gives you a chance to stop the fuel flow quickly (deadheading the pump, so then you need to shut off the pump soon after).

/ Anyone familiar with GPI hand pumps #10  
When I replaced my GPI hand pump with a Fil-rite electric pump about a year or so ago, I stored the GPI inside my shop in the parts store. It worked fine I had installed and using it for pumping farm diesel for my tractor, RTV and ZTR.

I recently bought a 50 gallon fuel tank and installed the GPI onto the tank. Filled it with gas and went to fuel my new RTV-XG850. Pump handle was extremely hard to move. It also didn't appear to move any fuel, although it was hard to tell since I couldn't move the handle much if at all.

I'll get the actual pump number shortly, but it looks like this:

031401114010.jpg

Anyone experience this before? Solutions or suggestions? I really don't want to have to replace this pump; a hand pump is still ~$200 with another Fil-rite at around $300.

Thanks,
Haver the same unit on my field tank. Had for years, no issues. If you are using it for gasoline and not diesel, therein lies the issue. it's for pumping diesel and lubricating oils, NOT GASOLINE.