If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #1  

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
I have a new BX1880. 13 hours on it. I have a set of 42" Redline pallet forks. They weigh about 167 lbs, according to Redline, and they are pin on.

I've been moving brush with it. I've discovered that if I tilt all the way down vertical to dump a load, it won't tilt back up. I have to lower the loader arms until the fork tines are touching the ground, drive backward, and tilt up and once I get them to move a smidge then it tilts up fine again.

Any ideas? Is that center cylinder perhaps just not strong enough to pull that back in from full extension? I can't see that anything is binding. I can live with this and have figured out how to work with it (I try to just not tilt it quite far enough to do this) but I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this.
IMG_20210730_113553045.jpg
IMG_20210730_113547841_HDR.jpg

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #2  
Sounds like the hyd cyl is going over center. The pin holes are not the same as your bucket or there is no stops on the forks. Might have to weld you in some stops.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up.
My eventual plan is to use these with the AI2 quick attach. This might make me figure out a way to purchase that sooner than later.

In the meantime if I can come up with a good way to set up a length of chain or cable to limit that downward tilt would that be an acceptable workaround?

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #4  
Not sure, but I don't see why not give it a try.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #5  
That's pretty strange. With a brand new machine you really want to put this in the lap of your dealer. If it needs a stop or something OK but make him do it if that is required. Could be something strange that we have not imagined too.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #6  
Sounds like the hyd cyl is going over center. The pin holes are not the same as your bucket or there is no stops on the forks. Might have to weld you in some stops.
I second this. I can almost guarantee that the spacing between the pivot and cylinder pin is just slightly closer than it should be allowing it to rotate too far. as an alternative to welding, you could put a limiting strap on.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #7  
What is that thing leaning against yor bucket?

I second this. I can almost guarantee that the spacing between the pivot and cylinder pin is just slightly closer than it should be allowing it to rotate too far. as an alternative to welding, you could put a limiting strap on.
This is what I was thinking about doing.

I don't understand how this is a dealer issue. It works perfectly with my bucket and with everything I bought from the dealer. I would imagine they'd tell me to kick rocks since everything works well with the oem equipment. I'm sure they'd look at it for me to rule out any tractor issues but I don't think there's anything wrong with the tractor.

The thing leaning against my bucket is part of the parking stand. With the bucket off it just dangles so it has to be removed. Takes about a second and two screws.

/ If I tilt forks all the way down on BX1880, they won't tilt back up. #9  
It's your pocketbook, not mine. Using that set of pallet forks is easily within the norms for use of your new tractor. Not everything you use has to be OEM by any norm of buying and using tractors that I ever heard of. Besides that tangential concern, surely the same thing would happen with your FEL with nothing mounted on it. (??) Take off the forks and see. Does the orange frame minus the black attachment still act the same way ? Probably and if so it has nothing to do with the forks.
The other guys suggesting there is some way your FEL mechanism is going "over center" are most likely correct. Maybe there should be stops ? And if it were my pocketbook I want the dealer involved to solve it. But as one of my older family once famously said "Can't see it from my house."

I still don't understand what there is for them to fix if the issue is the center pin hole on the fork frame being a little out of whack and not in exactly the right position. I don't know what they would warranty for me or work on since the tractor is good and they didn't sell me the forks if they are a little "off". I guess they'd tell me to buy some other forks.

With the bucket on the tractor tilts as it should all the way down and back up again.

Also, you said if it does it with the orange frame but the fork tines off then it's not the forks...I don't think that's accurate. If the issue is the center pin hole being too low on the fork frame, that's still part of the forks assembly allowing it to go over center. That still comes back to the forks.

Why would my dealer weld stops onto my fork frame or otherwise modify forks I bought elsewhere, and why would I expect them to?

Last edited: