Public Service announcement... of a sort

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #11  
Scotch connectors are terrible. But common. I have come to the conclusion that if the connector is not water proof, it may be a problem. i bought some of those butt connectors which have glue and solder in them. But they are not made for a T connection (3 wires). I also solder, then I use the marine heat shrink which has glue inside that melts when heated. There nothing worse than having to troubleshoot and repair after dark when you just want to load and go home.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #12  
OP: you might also rework all the ground connections fore, mid, & aft as well. same thing happened to my trailer brakes: bad ground contact underneath. good luck
I don't have a trailer big enough to require brakes, but most trailer wiring issues I've had were bad grounds, well that and the crappy chinesium wiring that came with the HF trailer lights where the center conductor just disintegrated. :mad:
I agree those Scotchlock connectors are crap.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #13  
There nothing worse than having to troubleshoot and repair after dark when you just want to load and go home.
Always seems to happen when it's pouring rain or in the middle of the winter.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #14  
Always seems to happen when it's pouring rain or in the middle of the winter.
And your wife is calling - "Where are you? You are late. Well, then, you should have fixed that yesterday. Yes, I know it is raining, but it is not freezing yet, it is only 34 degrees. " Ha!

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #15  
What is interesting is that scotchloks made for the telephony industry actually work very well with a pretty low failure rate. However, they are used with 22 thru 26 gauge SOLID wire with insulation designed for this purpose, AND they are used with the tiny communication currents in stationary service not a moving trailer and are not subject to the elements usually. They are in a pedestal or if underground are encapsulated in a large cocoon of a rubber like substance poured in as a liquid. Plus those scotchlocks have a jelly like waterproofing compound in them that flow out around the wires.

I don't know who thought they or similar products would be a good idea in the trailer wiring industry. But someone did. If they had to account for all of the lost man hours of people laying in the mud under a trailer trying to repair the dang things in the middle of the night, they might think differently. Twisting the wires together, soldering and the heat shrink tubing with the goo inside, sounds like a good solution to me.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #16  
I've used real 3M brand ones and had good luck. It seems like there's a lot of cheap Chinese versions out there. I wouldn't count on butt splices being the solution. Like ljjhouser said, if it's not water proof or a soldered joint the copper is going to be attacked by the elements. If I use a crimp on connector of any kind I use a compound like no-ox to protect the metal.

As for grounds. The best solution I found is to weld a stainless steel bolt to the frame near where each ground should be. Attach your ground wire to it. Never had one fail.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #17  
k0ua - sounds like an amateur radio license?

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort
OP: you might also rework all the ground connections fore, mid, & aft as well. same thing happened to my trailer brakes: bad ground contact underneath. good luck
Yep, got it covered (y)

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #19  
Instead of the expensive heat shrink with the adhesive in it, I use hot melt glue sticks after soldering while connection is still warm, then apply heat shrink. Allows for customized connections. Heat shrink box has hot melt glue sticks in it along with soldering box. Hope this tip helps out.

/ Public Service announcement... of a sort #20  
I'd just tellem it's a kilt.
wrong thread but....

2 young girls come across a passed out drunk scotsman who is wearing a kilt. they giggle a little and then take a peek to see...what does a scotsman really wear under his kilt.

Of course he's going bareback so one of the girls takes a ribbon out of her hair and puts it on the guys......unit..... and the girls leave.

Later, the guy wakes up and must relieve himself. he pulls up his kilt and sort of stumbles back and says......

I dona know where you been lad....but you won the blue ribbon!