Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,251  
Oh, man. No kidding that's going cause someone some real grief in the future.
Yep. They were just happy there was no ground contamination. It was cheaper to fill it in with cement VS digging it out, filling, compacting, etc. Only time will tell if someone else runs into it.

Future digger:

Dig dig dig dig THUNK! What's that? Let's look. YIKES! 😬

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,252  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,254  
Just saw that buckskin Joe, at the royal gorge closed in 2010. Bought by William Koch and moved to his ranch near gunnison.
It was used in a lot of western movies

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,255  
I've always admired the Northerns for their pulling power. Check out UP 844 with roller bearing rods, on all axles under the tender and on leading and trailing trucks obvious in the longer video.

All that said, there are several Berkshires in preservation, esp in the East & Midwest, and their charm is undeniable. To be an engineer one had to be a competent boiler operator. To operate a boiler one had to learn to fire it. Mom's uncle started with a shovel and retired in the '60s after operating diesels too. Talk about seeing the glory days of rail. :love:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,256  
If you take rt50, say hey to my friends in gunnison. Wish I was there.
So we actually did end up having to take 50 through Gunnison to get to Pikes Peak. An amazing drive, but I had to hurry. Took 7 hours to get from Moab to Colorado Springs because of the I70 mudslides closure. Big news out here. Might be the worst rockslides in CO history. Took out the railway along 70 and plugged up part of the Colorado River, too!
We finally made it through to Pikes Peak and took the Manitou Pikes Peak Cog Railway and it was great!
They re worked the tracks and are completing a new visitors center at the Peak. It was a lot more extensive and complex than I thought. Multiple cog trains of 2 engine powered cars run at once, so sidings were built to allow passing.
The powered cars were built in Switzerland, but they are Cummins powered! How cool is that!

1628088540505.jpeg

Heres how they rolled long ago

1628088613774.jpeg

A view while descending

1628088869630.jpeg

Attachments

• 1628088761450.jpeg
    1628088761450.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,257  
So we actually did end up having to take 50 through Gunnison to get to Pikes Peak. An amazing drive, but I had to hurry. Took 7 hours to get from Moab to Colorado Springs because of the I70 mudslides closure. Big news out here. Might be the worst rockslides in CO history. Took out the railway along 70 and plugged up part of the Colorado River, too!
We finally made it through to Pikes Peak and took the Manitou Pikes Peak Cog Railway and it was great!
They re worked the tracks and are completing a new visitors center at the Peak. It was a lot more extensive and complex than I thought. Multiple cog trains of 2 engine powered cars run at once, so sidings were built to allow passing.
The powered cars were built in Switzerland, but they are Cummins powered! How cool is that!
Highway 50? Did you drive through Antonito, Conejos, Alamosa area? That’s where my mother grew up. Very cool road trip your on! (y)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,258  

View attachment 708313

Heres how they rolled long ago

View attachment 708314

A view while descending

View attachment 708316

Very nice!! I was looking at it yesterday on google maps. Think it was sold out for next 2 weeks. Been to Colorado Springs twice, never up the mt, but once in.

I’ve done 550 from Durango to montrose, and rt 50 across to canon city and 115 from Colorado Springs. Taken 285 also from Denver to poncho springs, and down to monte vista. I really like 160 across southern co.

Also did the rocky mt nat park.

I want to go back.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,259  
Highway 50? Did you drive through Antonito, Conejos, Alamosa area? That’s where my mother grew up. Very cool road trip your on! (y)

Drove thru alamosa a few yrs ago. I want to take the cumbres railroad sometime.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,260  
My avitar pic was taken at a ranch outside gunnison.