Weldor Question - kind of

/ Weldor Question - kind of #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
The service technician blamed the weldor.

The safety eyes on the overhead door went bad for the second time in 8 years. The door company sent out there technician, who first said the weldor could be the problem because it is so close to the sensor. He also said it could be the magnetic sweeper or maybe it was just it's time to die.

Is there any way that invisible waves of magnetic or electron movement could damage the safety eye? I think was he trying to blow smoke in my ears, but I got to ask the guys that know.

Attachments

• Saftey eyes.jpg
    Saftey eyes.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 108
   / Weldor Question - kind of #2  
I don't really know myself. I watch where I lay my smart phone though. My last phone used to lock up or do weird stuff when it was near. Something similar?

/ Weldor Question - kind of #3  
Huh? Do you mean welder? And garage door? If so, the welding equipment has no affect on garage door eyes in the electromagnetic wave sense. Physically in the path of the eyes would. Cobwebs would.

/ Weldor Question - kind of #4  
I don’t know the answer but I had two of those old Forney welders. Just sold them lately.

IMG_2836.jpg

/ Weldor Question - kind of #5  
I have an older garage door opener (30 plus years old) on a detached garage. Sometimes when I trigger my Millermatic 110 the door will close.

/ Weldor Question - kind of
Huh? Do you mean welder? And garage door? If so, the welding equipment has no affect on garage door eyes in the electromagnetic wave sense. Physically in the path of the eyes would. Cobwebs would.
Doh! I got it backwards again....

a welder is a machine and a weldor is one who operates said machine.

/ Weldor Question - kind of #8  
Mine are 11+ years old and I use the welder quite a bit. Only problem I've had with the eyes is dust and certain times of the day they won't work because of sunlight washing them out........Mike

/ Weldor Question - kind of
My door is on the south and they didn't like the sun that's for sure. I could cast my shadow over one of them to get the door to close but after some time, even that trick stopped working.

That pair of sensors was $180 plus labor & mileage.

/ Weldor Question - kind of #10  
I have a set on my shop door where I run Plasma and multiple welders including HF Tig. No probs in 16 years.