What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #461  
So you're saying pallets have started moving from fields into backyards???

They're getting closer...
A bunch have made it into my workshop/storage building. HaHa!

Actually we recently had to move out of our house while we were building our new house. Everything that could be put on pallets, was and then we stcked them on top of each other in the storage building. Still have two pallets needed to be unloade, but they move arounf very easy with the tractor forks. Jon

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #462  
After reading this thread I think I could save a lot of money by getting a set of forks rather than a Root grapple.

Anyone have both?
Root grapple good for moving brush and logs. For demolition work - forks. Problem with forks keeping odd loads centered, a product called add a grapple slides over the forks and secures load. Use grapple and tree puller more than bucket and rock bucket.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #463  
After reading this thread I think I could save a lot of money by getting a set of forks rather than a Root grapple.

Anyone have both?

Yep

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #464  

Anyone have both?
Yup, forks work OK for moving hurricane debris, but the grapple is much easier. Might be a couple more trips, but much less on/off the tractor with the grapple. And when maneuvering around trees, no issues with the grapple, and many times stuff fell off the forks. I can also rip down vines and brush with the grapple, something I couldn't do with just forks. It all really depends on your landscape.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #465  
I see Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one-man gas engine post hole digger. Has anyone ever mounted one like this on front forks? Would it work? It seems like this would be cheaper and simpler than a 3-point digger.

And far less brutal compared to operating this tool alone.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #466  
I don't see why that wouldn't work, although it may be prudent to have two people available. Space the forks right under the handles and tie it down.
I just finished removing my 20 year old fence and reinstalling split rail. I splurged and bought a Land Pride ssqa hydraulic auger, and it was too easy!

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #467  
Similar here, forks as part of a grading project.

Most land planes are simply towed. But I need the ability to lift this one, using the forks, for tight U-turns when smoothing my narrow lane. The cross-chain in the photo allows this lift.

I took this photo when I was improving it with a permanent chain on each front corner, with hooks to pull it from the front of the forks assembly.

Also, setting the weight of the forks on the land plane makes a crude blade for levelling gopher mounds in the orchard.
20210321_194855rlandplaneinshop-jpg.693293
I was wondering, has anyone made or seen a land plane that mounts to the FEL forks instead of the 3 point? I ask because I'm looking at making one so I can use it on my tractor and my father can use it on his skid steer. it should be alot cheaper than store bought, you can change pressure (front to back) and simpler as it really only has the sides and blades.

Thoughts?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #468  
Do you have a Quick Attach on the FEL?

How long are your forks?

I guess you could put fork pockets on the land plane, similar to the way this one attaches:

IMG_1928 600 (2).JPG
Road Boss 500 px.jpg

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #469  
Do you have a Quick Attach on the FEL?

How long are your forks?

I guess you could put fork pockets on the land plane, similar to the way this one attaches:

View attachment 708984View attachment 708985
I have the John Deere style quick attach on the FEL which I actually like better than the skid steer attach (less moving parts)

They are standard forks (50" +/-) built the mask myself.

I was thinking just some bent straps along the top supports of the plane but I could just use wide rectangular tubing and weld it along the horizontal supports. I figured a chain with binder would hold the plane onto the forks for back dragging.

Attachments

• 20190521_164314.jpg
    20190521_164314.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 77
  • base.jpg
    base.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 84
   / What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #470  
Is it worth it to buy a set of skid steer forks that I might be able to get on the cheap? They will fit the skid steer loader adaptor I had built for my Deere 5520--85 hp-- . The forks are the HD version and I think either 3000# or more and 42" long.

Problem is, I only lift a few pallets a year and after that am stumped for it's usefulness. I think I could move big rocks or other things but never paid attention to forks that much. The forks will QT fit my skid steer attachment, are new and I think I can pay $300. Seem like that's worth it? What else do you guys do with forks besides lift pallets?
I use mine for a lot more than pallet items. I have a Titan 3ph to QC adapter (<$100 on scratch & dent, if I recall correctly) that the forks are usually attached to. With this combo, I can attach ballast, work buckets, welder, etc and even carry a single round bale without putting on spikes.