Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
Hey all, I was gifted a new DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel generator. I would like to run this on propane. There is a note on the box that says it requires liquid propane. I believe there is a regulator on the generator that you just hook a hose to. My question is do I need a special tank with a liquid valve? Can I take a standard tank and just turn it upside down? I spoke to a propane guy (local distributor) the other day, he said he didn't think that a generator that size would need a a liquid feed. Also, I was reading through the instructions this morning and it said nothing about needing liquid propane.

Ok, assuming it does require Liquid propane, where can I get a tank? I am not really interested in a 250-500 gal tank, just something large enough to carry me through 2 or 3 days at 50% load. I am thinking that a 100gal tank should last me about three days.

Tim

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #2  
Ok, assuming it does require Liquid propane,
I'm pretty sure that's a wrong assumption -
Mine just runs off the same container I used for the barbeque grill

The propane is LIQUID inside the tank.

/edit if you are going to need it to RUN constantly a 20 gal tank might last about 5 hours.
/edit 2 - sorry, meant a 20 lb tank

Last edited:
   / Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #3  
The contents of the tank is LP, liquid propane. Just hook it up assuming the gen is setup for it.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #4  

/edit if you are going to need it to RUN constantly a 20 gal tank might last about 5 hours.
Per the manufactures web site 40# is about 8 hours,
so 9.2 gallons in a 40#er or just a bit over 1 gallon per hr.
Also a person needs to be aware of the effect of ambient temperature on the vaporization of the propane,
cold weather will drastically reduce the available vapor and that machine requires 3 psi vapor to it's regulator.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #5  
I bought that same generator for my daughter a few years back. I tested it on regular 20lb tanks for a grill.

FYI those little grill tanks would break you. They only fill them to 15lbs. One tank ran the generator an hour. After the tank got down to 3 lbs of propane it wouldn't carry a load.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #6  

really.... 20 gallons for a 5hr run time. That generator would never make it here. My 9500 I believe is just under 2 gal a hour max load. even that seems a lot.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #7  
really.... 20 gallons for a 5hr run time. That generator would never make it here. My 9500 I believe is just under 2 gal a hour max load. even that seems a lot.
I believe that it is just a bit over one gallon per hour.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #8  

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #9  
With all respect to OP and his original question(s) but I seem to recall these genny's when they were running some specials on Fleabay about three years ago could be had for like five to six hundred and fifty bucks .
DuroMax XP10000EH 10000-Watt Electric Start Dual Fuel Generator $500 they go FAST Seemed like it was worth taking a risk and buying one at the time , however I myself didnt need one . Now there probably goin for alittle over 1K . Havent looked them up just saying .

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #10  
Get the tanks done where you can watch them fill it. A good operator will wear a heavy glove (propane is cold) and fill it until propane escapes out the safety valve. It will be about 3/4 full - again for safety reasons. It will last a lot longer than the ones you swap out at the convenience store. Read on if you want to know why.

If you just swap tanks at the local gas station they are not filled to capacity. (They aren't being cheap- it is because they sit outside where the temperatures and sunlight could be at any extreme at any time so it's a safety reason).