A few pics from today’s square baling

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #31  
Wow, Desert those are great pics! Thanks for posting.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling
   / A few pics from today’s square baling #35  

Attachments

• Original Curt and Mark with Steyr bringing in the hay (2).jpg
    Original Curt and Mark with Steyr bringing in the hay (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173

Yep... memories for sure and where my love of tractors began... family dairy farm in the family for generations...

A wonderful experience spending summers with my Grandparents and cousins and a window into another way of life...

That tractor was part of the family and my Grandfather sold timber over several years to raise the money to buy and opted to go hand crank because the electric start was a costly upgrade...

Single Cylinder diesel with a glow plug lit with a match...

Still remember the sound of the motor as it started...

The drive belt was used a lot... moving hay with a blower, buzz saw, pumping the manure pit.. etc.

Last edited:
Great picture Ultra. Cant believe there were people that recently making loose (un-baled) hay! Thought that was gone by WWII.
I have access and permission to use a huge barn, but it was designed for loose hay, not bales. Still in excellent shape, but virtually useless to modern hay bales. :(

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #37  
Great picture Ultra. Cant believe there were people that recently making loose (un-baled) hay! Thought that was gone by WWII.
I have access and permission to use a huge barn, but it was designed for loose hay, not bales. Still in excellent shape, but virtually useless to modern hay bales. :(
I think 1948 is the year model...

Bringing in the hay was labor intensive later all done by one person and much quicker too...

Some of the equipment was simply adapted to be pulled by the tractor from horse/oxen.

Always remember Grandma in her spotless kitchen baking on her enameled wood stove...

Simple life but healthy and alert into their 90's with plenty of organic fresh food before the word organic existed...

Grandma did everything with her egg money...

I can rake and bale 30 tons of hay by myself, IF there’s excellent weather and no break downs.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #39  
We used a McCormick baler and I remember when I was a kid about 10, my dad taught me how to tie a square knot and I sat on the twine storage area as we baled. When a bale did not tie, I would tie the twine while we were moving. That baler had a knotter problem, but we still used it for about 30 years. The picture below was taken in 1954, pulled by an Oliver 77.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
   / A few pics from today’s square baling #40  
I thought square bailing was a thing of the past. Labor intensive and a great deal of storage needed, plus danger of burning barn to ground if hay is too green. Really good pictures though.