Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #581  
A few years ago i read the average age for a grandmother in one federal housing project is 32. that's a career choice with no other options.

Holy Cow!

That is have a kid at 16 and that kid has a kid at 16!

And that was the average?

MoKelly

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #582  
Holy Cow!

That is have a kid at 16 and that kid has a kid at 16!

And that was the average?

MoKelly
It is generational repeating... and becomes a way of life.

Yes, there are 30 year old Grandmothers!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #583  
I'm just going to shake my head at some of these post.

As for borrowing money, it's VERY important for people to understand that they can get into BIG trouble if they have leveraged too much. There were a lot of people in 2008 that had borrowed beyond their means. People need to have significant reserves to handle potential downturns. It's not just the risk of a housing crash, stock market crash, or losing their income. When things go bad, will you be able to survive it. If you don't need to borrow the money, then you're likely in the best shape to use that credit. Just be aware of how much you are leveraging.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #584  
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #585  
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #586  
This really gets me:
My best friend years ago moved to LA (Palos Verdes). He marries a lady born in China who moved to the USA 40 years ago. Friend and wife both work (at retirement age but can't retire...mortgage, etc.).
They bring her mother over from China 10 years ago...she doesn't speak English at all.
Mom lives with them a few years, doesn't work out well so friend finds 78 y.o. Mom a place. Get this!:
Mom has a beach front studio apartment. She gets all utilities, SS, Medicare, health care, food stamps, etc. ALL FOR FREE!
Mom never worked one day in America.
Mom has so much money left over she took them on European vacation!
Where's my (or our) free stuff?!?
WE paid taxes, born, worked in America all our life...but no free perks.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #587  
This really gets me:
My best friend years ago moved to LA (Palos Verdes). He marries a lady born in China who moved to the USA 40 years ago. Friend and wife both work (at retirement age but can't retire...mortgage, etc.).
They bring her mother over from China 10 years ago...she doesn't speak English at all.
Mom lives with them a few years, doesn't work out well so friend finds 78 y.o. Mom a place. Get this!:
Mom has a beach front studio apartment. She gets all utilities, SS, Medicare, health care, food stamps, etc. ALL FOR FREE!
Mom never worked one day in America.
Mom has so much money left over she took them on European vacation!
Where's my (or our) free stuff?!?
WE paid taxes, born, worked in America all our life...but no free perks.

I have to question some of this. I don't think you can get SS and Medicare unless you have worked and paid into the system. If you are indigent and a legal immigrant, you can get Medicaid, food stamps, and reduced cost housing. However, beachfront living with cash left over seems improbable.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #588  

61% of this country does not pay federal income tax.
Although the % that does not pay income tax should go down when we "return to normal", it may never go below 50% again. There are concerns about a system where majority vote rules and a minority are required to pay for it.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #589  
I have to question some of this. I don't think you can get SS and Medicare unless you have worked and paid into the system. If you are indigent and a legal immigrant, you can get Medicaid, food stamps, and reduced cost housing. However, beachfront living with cash left over seems improbable.
You are correct. She gets Medicaid not Medicare. The SS all I know is she gets some sort of income, more than enough to live on since she has no rent, utilities, etc.
Money left over paid for their vacation.
I'll be talking to my friend this afternoon and find out what that money is called.
I was writing quickly, just trying to make a point. The gist is she gets free things, and a money surplus.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #590  
you are forgetting child care, food stamps, medicaid, the list just goes on and on. Free internet so they can look for a job?

the best one was they were having pizza delivered on food stamps while they squat on the couch to watch jerry springer, that was portland. had to stop that.

article 10 years ago said single gal with 2 kids would need to make $65K per year to just break even. they don't qualify for a $65K job and....who's gonna do that anyway?

another good one was/is....in some areas, if you are on medical weed and on welfare, you get a huge discount and.......wait for it.....they deliver it to you.

A few years ago i read the average age for a grandmother in one federal housing project is 32. that's a career choice with no other options.

food stamps have a direct and indisputable link to the obesity epidemic....that from the dept of ag web site.

then, look into corp welfare and govt employment. lots of folks willing to take what they can.

It's hard to blame people, the welfare queens or the Warren Buffetts for taking advantage of any situation, that's exactly what people do.

It's the govt and their band aid after the fact knee jerk reactions.

It's the government, not the people.
I have no idea why you people are so obsessed with politics. I know a guy who runs a water delivery service. His wife has cancer, and has a medical marijuana card. Her pot is way cheaper than recreational pot, because it's not taxed. What part of that do you not like?