Branson 3510 fuel pump advice

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice #1  

Wlturner66

Tractor
Branson 3510
i have an older model 3510 and the fuel pump went out i was able to install a edelbrock pump from O Reilly’s and get it to push fuel to the injector pump it started and ran but before I could bleed the air it cut off It appears it stopped pulling fuel from the tank I pulled the line between tank and pump and blew in it and got fuel coming out hooked back to the pump and it was pushing fuel again to the injector pump like it should until I cut the pump off then it stopped again Im thinking I need to put a check valve between the tank and pump if so should I put underneath close to the tank or up around the engine closer to the pump or am I missing something altogether Any advice would be appreciated

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice #2  
I think you have something on the bottom of the fuel tank that moves around and blocks the port going to the electric fuel pump.

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice #3  
I agree with ptsg but will add it could be you have a leak in the fuel line feeding the pump. May be time to just replace the hoses anyway.

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice
I think you have something on the bottom of the fuel tank that moves around and blocks the port going to the electric fuel pump.
when I blew in the line that’s what I was checking for I don’t believe it’s a blockage when you stop blowing the pressure forces the fuel back in the line I hook it to the pump and it pulls the fuel from the tank until I turn the pump off it’s like it loses it’s prime

I agree with ptsg but will add it could be you have a leak in the fuel line feeding the pump. May be time to just replace the hoses anyway.
I checked the line all the way to the tank and did not see any indication of any type of leak the only thing I didn’t do was put the hose clamp back on at the pump on the tank side but when it was pulling the fuel there were no leaks there I would think if that was the issue it would be some sort of leakage at the connection

The only thing I can think of is the Branson pump is a piston style pump with a diaphram and this diaphram holds the pressure on the tank side so the pump doesn’t lose its prime

These are tough tractors for the $$ I have used mine for everything from clearing a lot moving trees and digging up stumps to breaking up the garden to bush hogging and I have no complaints on performance but when they break parts are ridiculous I had to replace the water pump last year over $700 the shuttle shift joint was around a $160 and this fuel pump is $210 so if I can save $$ using an aftermarket I am going to try I was hoping someone else on here had already tried this swap and had the same issue

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice #7  
I do not believe you would see fuel leaking on the suction side of the pump. But if there is a leak, air would allow the fuel to drain back to tank. When the pump is trying to pull fuel it pulls air instead. I have seen hoses get hard and not seal with a clamp anymore create this issue.

I think you would see the same issue with the OEM pump.

I didn’t have any issue till the pump went out I tried to salvage the old pump to no avail piston still seems to pump and diaphram looks good but the issue seems to be with the electrical part that makes the pump work I had a blown fuse that I replaced which further confirms my suspicion maybe it’s as simple as not putting the clamp on the line on the tank side but my luck doesn’t usually run that well I will try that today

Update! I put the clamps on the hoses and solved the fuel pick up issue I did have to prime it to begin with but now it will run For a few minutes and then die off like it’s air in the system I can open the bleeder screw and it will pick back up.

Im really starting to think I’m gonna have to bite the bullet on the Branson pump I got to thinking about it and I believe the Branson pump will cut on and off I believe the diaphram and electric box on the pump is some sort of built in pressure regulator

If anyone has successfully made the swap I would appreciate any advice you could give but I have a feeling I’m gonna be biting the bullet on a Branson pump

/ Branson 3510 fuel pump advice #10  
I also have an older 3510 (2004) when my pump died I replaced it with a hep-02a fuel pump, (they are not expensive probably $15) that was several years ago.
I agree with you on the crazy high prices for Branson parts, I‘m about $1200 into hydraulic gear and pump replacement on mine right now.

Mike
25318040-20C0-446D-AE04-CFFE8B3835FF.png