Thinking about a new saw

/ Thinking about a new saw #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
Anyone have a Husky 562XP? I am now looking at a backup saw for the old Jonsy 2171.
Still runs great though a bit beat up from the latest hard knocks [see my thread about damaged my saw]
Like everything else, the new saws have "computers" built into them and it concerns me a bit.
Any feedback will be helpful in making a decision.
I am considering the Husky as all my chains and bars from the Jonsy will fit.
Other saw suggestions appreciated.
I cut 6 cords of firewood yearly and do some commercial logging on my land.
A smaller size saw is not a problem as I know power has increased since my 2171 was new. 60cc vs 71.
The lighter weight is a plus

/ Thinking about a new saw #2  
Fruit cake
I have two older huskies that have been very dependable. One is an old rancher 61 the other a newer rancher 55. The 55 runs faster but with 20 inch bar just does not have the same grunt as the 61 with same size bar and chain. I guess long way of saying I suspect you will miss the displacement going from 71 to 60cc

no experience with newer huskies though.

Any dealer have an area to test run them?

/ Thinking about a new saw #3  
I have a rancher 465. Not much it won't eat with speed. Ash maple and walnut do not give it problems. It does get heavy after a few hours.

/ Thinking about a new saw #4  
I am looking at an Echo CS-620P or PW. Looks like it will pull a 27" bar, but I will probably go 24".
My current CS-490 just doesn't have enough power to pull a 20" chain in dead Ash. I have a number of 20-30" trunks I need to buck and it's becoming a chore, the 490 is light and does well felling with the 20", but gets hot when dealing with lots of cuts in the bigger trunks or stump leveling.

I have heard good things about both the 562 and 620. 620 is cheaper, 1/2pound or less heavier and about .2 hp less.
I like the handle on the 620 a lot, but that's preference. and no computer.

The 2171 is almost 1hp more, and in the same weight class, so you will notice a difference.

562xp is almost $200 more by me then the CS-620.

Have fun shopping, hope you can find saws to run and see how they feel.

/ Thinking about a new saw #5  
For best results go with an industrial model. Costs more but also takes more abuse.

A lot depends on how fast ( amount of load ) you put on the saw. Try and let the saw stay cool.

/ Thinking about a new saw #6  
fan of the 591 -20" shindaiwa and the echo timber worlf 590 20". also can use same bars and chains and filkes etc. so win win.

/ Thinking about a new saw #7  
I have a 490 and a 590 Echo. They are good for what little I use them but if I ran saws more I would go back to a Husky. They turn up faster, weight to power ratio is better, and IMHO are all around better saws for somebody who runs them a lot.
They also cost about 50% more...
I wouldn’t be afraid of the computers, based on what I’ve read on various sites from guys who run saws a lot. There’s one anecdote about somebody who lost a seal, and the auto-adjust compensated for the leaner mix so that he didn’t lose a piston.

/ Thinking about a new saw #8  
I am not brand loyal and respect that you like huskies. If you’re interested in checking out a Stihl the ms400 is a nice sized powerful saw. Also the ms462 and ms500i. All three are their pro line saws and spendy.

/ Thinking about a new saw #9  
Did not even have them up for sale but a good guy I know made me a very fair cash on spot offer on my Echo 590 T/Wolf 20 inch bar and my Stihl MS291 20 inch bar with extra new upgraded chains . I'am not a brand fan boy / loyalist either . Both saws were in excellent condition .

If I had to choose one I liked the 590 Wolf way better , also a heck of a lot of bang for the buck . Neither saw had been tuned nor had exhaust mods , etc .

Anyway father time's been kickin me in the rear end here and there lately , so I had some thoughts about just gettin me Echo's biggest batt powered saw or an Echo 355T . Studied it an almost even prayed about it (lol) . So I ended up saying to myself "naw " you know what the heck with that for a few dollars more , etc . Anyway so the other day I ordered me a Shindaiwa 600sx-24 inch bar . Its suppose to be the same as an Echo 620p . Something like Kioti and Bobcat .
Felt like I got a decent deal . Also on the 600sx/ Echo's 620 there suppose to have a two ringed piston' .

/ Thinking about a new saw #10  
IMG_2595.jpg

I bought a 572XP last year, it is a beast.