New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
I asked because mine is 16”, and changing to 12” would be more work than I want to put into it.
I was at Lowe’s tonight looking at trex ( they carry toasted sand color)$40 each, $90 for 6ft rail kit, $35 and $41 price on post sleeves, the boxes look identical.
I would like to put a roof over the deck, it was in my original approved plans but I never built the roof. My deck cantilevers a couple feet past the bottom beam, the issue is where and how to support the roof posts. View attachment 706915
Wonder if I could fill between 16” joists with 2x6s to help support? Thinking out loud.

If starting from scratch I’d go 12”, but I’m not really worried about mine being on 16”, either. I went 16” because I helped a few friends do composite decks and that’s what we did. They are several years old and I’ve never noticed any sagging.

Maybe you could put your roof supports over your current beam and cantilever the roof? Another option would be adding posts on the end that go all the way down from the ground to the roof.

Always a way just have to find the solution that works best for your situation.

/ New House Build in WV
I’ve completed a few small tasks over the last month but not much.

I started having some lower back pain and within a couple days of it starting, the nerve down my right leg went to hurting. A pain like I have never felt in my life, and non stop. I could barely walk 10’.

I saw a chiropractor, 7-8 times and it just got worse. Finally changed chiropractors this past Monday. This one took an x-ray before touching me. It showed the space between my bottom 2 vertebrae to be completed closed, pinching the nerve, and my hips out of alignment. Unbelievable that I never felt anything to indicate this coming on.

I’ve seen this guy everyday this week and today the pain finally started subsiding. First time I’ve felt close to normal for a month. Not completely pain free but close. Going to take a while to completely correct everything but getting rid of the pain is a good first step.

One thing for certain, I’ll take better care of my back going forward.

Anyway, I did manage yo get my shower pan in, and hope to make progress on it this weekend, but fall baseball started today. I will be coaching my sons team, so that will dictate how much time I have to work on the house.

We have lived in it for around 2 months, and we are very happy with how it’s working out. We had our first get together in the house this weekend for my daughters 11th birthday, and the space worked out great.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update and I’ll post more pictures soon.

/ New House Build in WV #493  
Hope back gets better. Mine went out 2.5 yrs ago and I spent time in hospital. Slight bulge that got irritated, morphine was only think that would cut the pain. Not fun.
They did another mri on it before they diagnosed my GBS 2 yrs ago, thought it might be the reason I couldn’t walk.

Congrats on house!!!

/ New House Build in WV #494  
Care to post your floor plan?

/ New House Build in WV
Hope back gets better. Mine went out 2.5 yrs ago and I spent time in hospital. Slight bulge that got irritated, morphine was only think that would cut the pain. Not fun.
They did another mri on it before they diagnosed my GBS 2 yrs ago, thought it might be the reason I couldn’t walk.

Congrats on house!!!

The pain was bad, but It’s lowering everyday, so I’m headed in the right direction. The hope is that the disk isn’t too damaged and will go back to normal. Hoping to avoid surgery, that’s for sure. I’ll be getting an mri later this month.

I read all about you GBS in the good morning thread. I was glad to read you recovered pretty well, scary situation.

/ New House Build in WV
Care to post your floor plan?

Don’t mind at all.

IMG_8211.jpg

We did adjust a few things like master bath layout, and made the two small closets in the master one big closet with a 5’ double door that’s out swing. Also added a window in the master closet mainly to break up the wall to look better from the outside.

Last edited:
   / New House Build in WV #497  
I read all about you GBS in the good morning thread. I was glad to read you recovered pretty well, scary situation.

Oh, the great helicopter escape of 2019.

Yes, was concerning times. Of some of the possibilities they thought it could be, GBS is probably the more recoverable one now days. But I don’t trust myself to be working on the roof of the house any more. My legs still feel weak, feet get a lot of pain, but I’m walking and doing most everything I did before.

Last edited:
   / New House Build in WV
Here’s a picture of the finished front porch ceiling. Still have to do the back, just got started on it when my back issue came about.

IMG_8215.jpg

Here’s how the lighting looks at night.

IMG_8214.jpg

Spent most of the day laying on the couch, haven’t done that in years, but did manage to get the mud pressure washed of the foundation on the front just before dark.

You will notice the double wide is still sitting there. Buyers have pushed their loan closing date 3 times. I’ve given the until Tuesday to arrange for payment. I have a couple other people interested, so I’m ready to move on.