Compact tractor height for crops

/ Compact tractor height for crops #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
What do you guys do in regards to weeding larger gardens with compact tractors? The ground clearance is not enough to clear potatoe stocks for example. If using a cultivator for example.

/ Compact tractor height for crops #2  
I like the looks of an old Farmall Cub and it has the ground clearance but...

Thinking.jpg

/ Compact tractor height for crops
Yeah. Sad part is I own 50% of an old farmall m. But brother and I don’t get along. If I got it going it would just end up at some lazy %€#% up the road who don’t work but wants to use it for something until it’s broken

Last edited:
   / Compact tractor height for crops #4  
I owned a cub once. They are really weak.
A Kubota 245H is what ya need. Have been trying to find one in my price range for awhile.
Problem with small CUTs is the ground clearance. Not a lot you can do.

Yeah it’s bad. I saw the 2816 with ag tires on, it did make a good bit of difference. Not sure if it would be enough. But they almost made it look like a different tractor

/ Compact tractor height for crops #6  
Buy a Cub for a few thousand dollars to work the garden. There is nothing in the price range that can replace the Cub. It is good tool for a specific job, not a do all tractor. A set of plows, a disk, cultivators, sickle bar mower all work well on the Cub. With loaded tires, wheel weights front and back they are amazing little machines. Are they fast, no. I do not think you want to go fast when you are cultivating. New tractor, FEL, tiller may run a little faster but cost 10 times the money. And you will not be able to work the garden.

There are new cultivating tractors, Tilmore and Ogden but they are pricey.

Some recommended making it wide enough between hills/rows to use the tiller to cultivate the weeds. Removing the need to pass over the rows

/ Compact tractor height for crops #8  
Some recommended making it wide enough between hills/rows to use the tiller to cultivate the weeds. Removing the need to pass over the rows
Cultivating between rows is what two-wheel tractors do. BCS, Grillo, Gravely, etc.

Last edited:
   / Compact tractor height for crops #9  
   / Compact tractor height for crops #10  
I was just looking at this little gem on CL...