Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #711  
Same thing with both of my parents. My dad was born in 1919, so he was about 10 when the depression started. My mom was born in '27, so she was about 2. Both of them had great stories about how they and their families dealt with it. It showed in their examples to us growing up.
My father was the baby and my mother second to the last in her family. They were both around 10 by 1940, but with all their siblings, couldn't forget what the families went through. Then most of the boys of both families went off to war for our country.

Watched a movie last night called "The good lie". Although it was fictional, it was based off the plight of the "lost boys of Sudan".

Watching the movie reminded me how it seems that immigrants who come to our county who have nothing, actually realize what it means to work to be paid, work hard, and try to better yourself. Say what you will about immigrants today, but from my own peresonal experience, they seem to work just as hard as most "hardworking Americans" I know.

There is work out there, you just have to want to do it and show up on time, put your time in giving 100% and taking advantage of any breaks you get.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #713  
Brother, from what I can tell from your posts, you get it. I quit a high paying job to teach HS Economics in a school with 3/4 of families living below the poverty line. Today I showed them how to use a spreadsheet to put together a personal budget. You would think I invented fire.
When I was a senior in college I needed to take an elective to fill a gap so I took a class called Personal Finance (I was a Finance major). I have always thought that course should be required in every high school.

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #714  
Watching the movie reminded me how it seems that immigrants who come to our county who have nothing, actually realize what it means to work to be paid, work hard, and try to better yourself. Say what you will about immigrants today, but from my own peresonal experience, they seem to work just as hard as most "hardworking Americans" I know.
Probably harder. It takes a lot of drive to leave everything that's familiar and start all over again in a new country. More likely than not, this translates into a very good work ethic.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #715  
I hope you all recognize the difference between legal and illegal immigrants?

The mainstream media and so many politicians are trying their best to fudge it the best they can...

:cry:

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #716  
I hope you all recognize the difference between legal and illegal immigrants?

The mainstream media and so many politicians are trying their best to fudge it the best they can...

:cry:
The only difference I really see between my grandparents (who came to ellis island) and illegal immigrants is that both sets of my grandparents HAD to take a boat to get to this country instead of being able to walk.

When you make peanuts and come to our country, and you're willing to break your back and work hard for what we as American Citizens see as "chump change" which we think people are idiots for to work for as no Americans would be "disgraced" as to taking a lower wage.

Not saying anything is right or wrong, just I can understand people making a better life for themselves.

Both of my grandfathers (who came legally) died working in the coal mines, living in a "company town" for peanuts as well just trying to provide for the family.

I can repsect anyone willing to work.

Funny enough a good friend is a local born and bred NC farmer. He feels the same way, and if I need some "local labor work", he always knows the guys who are available. Let's just say they don't look like Billy Bobs or Hanks LOL

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #717  
This will kill a retiree's retirement planning pretty quick if interest rates do not follow along...

E-xMC-VXEAI-3cM

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #718  
Right now it's looking like my CSRS COLA will be 5% to 6%.
/edit - Civil Service Retirement System, Cost of Living Allowance

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #719  
I became a legal adult in 1979. I've lived through worse. So have most of you.

877A8DE1-331A-4A8B-AEF2-417167C4F3B2.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #720  
The only difference I really see between my grandparents (who came to ellis island) and illegal immigrants is that both sets of my grandparents HAD to take a boat to get to this country instead of being able to walk.

...............snip...............

It's only the difference between lawful and law breakers, no big deal!

Among the law breakers who enter illegally are some who have nothing to loose and will disregard any and all laws as they wish.

I mean as an example, no need for a car insurance if they have nothing to loose and what's another hit and run - no big deal eh?

And if they are caught it's really no big deal since we don't even know who they are or where they came from; they will be released soon anyway and go on and on.

😨