Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #901  
i want to help those that truly deserve it

big difference
I think we all do. However, how are we going to deal with the ones that don't fit the qualification of "deserves it"? I don't have a solution for that.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #902  
Lets not go all political on this point. But as we imagine possible changes to come, something to keep in mind as people are made unnecessary by automation and offshoring jobs is the example of the Middle East (and elsewhere) with an excess of bright enthusiastic people who have no job prospects at all. In some countries that's a formula for revolution in the streets by those who aren't needed. The US isn't at risk of this but universal guaranteed basic income might eventually become needed to keep the public settled down if enough people know, realistically, that they have no prospect of earning enough to support a family and live decently. In the richest country in the world. May you live in interesting times .... :)

My point here is we may see universal basic income adopted, out of necessity - not to stir up political rivalries!
I've long felt that something similar is needed. Face it, the jobs aren't there like they were 40 years ago, and everybody wants "cheap stuff." Rather than a cash payout though, I envision some type of stock sharing, that way income is based more on the state of the economy.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #903  
I think we all do. However, how are we going to deal with the ones that don't fit the qualification of "deserves it"? I don't have a solution for that.
Also, who is going to decide who "deserves it"?

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #905  
Using what criteria?
Let's leave at that before the thread veers off into politics.

The original questions were:

- What have you learned in retirement?

- What would you have done/planned for differently?

- Did you move away or stay at home and are you happy?

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #906  
Let's leave at that before the thread veers off into politics.

The original questions were:

- What have you learned in retirement?

- What would you have done/planned for differently?

- Did you move away or stay at home and are you happy?
You get appointed as the thread police? New moderator?
Nothing in my 3 word question is political. You are several dozen pages too late to address thread drift. If you don't like where this is going just scroll on by.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #910  
Hopefully my 2 cents is apolitical and I can express my thoughts about who deserves what.
It's no secret a lot of places in America have fallen to decay, there are the homeless, people living in tents, etc.
No one with mental illness or substance abuse should be allowed to live on the streets. We used to have mental facilities until some people thought they were cruel (some were horrific, many were ok). It's much better those people there than on the streets (much less cruel).
So that probably gets the majority off the streets, they at least now get treatment, food, medical care, etc. Basic necessities.
The rest choosing that lifestyle that's their choice but living like that where it's legal, not on private or public property. It's their problem finding a place to live, there are already shelters available. If one chooses to defecate in public they go to the mental facility.
Law abiding people who are destitute and able to work can get a job, they're available.
That leaves the destitute unable to work, crippled, sick they need assistance there are medical workers doctors, dentists, etc already who donate their time and services.
I believe the majority of taxpayers wouldn't be opposed to all that being part of an infrastructure package.
Any public assistance program should be short term, helping people get back on their feet. Single parents shouldn't be rewarded having kids they can't support. Taxpayers shouldn't be punished assisting people who made bad choices.
The opposite is true also. The successful wealthy shouldn't be punished or overwhelmed with taxes but also shouldn't pay nothing by loopholes in the system.
Everyone needs to pay a fair share for living where they have a good military, police, fire, roads, mental hospitals, etc.
There's no simple easy solution but people on either extreme the poor and rich shouldn't be able to milk the system.