Vermeer 554xl Questions

/ Vermeer 554xl Questions #1  

leeave96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wheelhorse 520H & 314-8
Not sure I’m ready to go all in on a newer/new round baler yet, so considering something to test drive for a few years to see how it goes.

Found what appears to be a Vermeer 554xl for sale. Doesn’t look to bad, if anything the pickup tines need to be replaced. Chains and sprockets look good, probably the belts should be proactively changed if I bought it. Don’t know the bale count, but there is still plenty of yellow paint everywhere. It is electric twine tie and hydraulic pickup.

I have read a ton about these balers on this forum and others and I’m ready to ask a few questions.

1. I gather depending the age of the baler, it might have the newer M series pickup. How do you visually tell if it is newer or older? This pickup has no gathering wheels and has “DCF Wide Pickup” labeled on it.

2. The baler has hydraulic density and a gauge - I assume this is a good thing?

3. It has a bale ramp and what appears to be a kicker arm. I gather this is a plus?

4. The model says 554 with Accu-Tie. What does that mean?

5. How significant and different is the M series pickup from the original 554xl pickup and what’s its advantage?

6. Can this baler be set to make a 4x4 round bale?

I’ve read folks have a love/hate relationship with this baler, but also I’ve read with good belts, pickup tines and proper adjustment they can be a hay eating machine.

Any sage advice on the Vermeer 554xl round baler is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Vermeer 554xl Questions #2  
The XL Vermeer balers are the last of the 504I baler concept design. Its a bullet proof design, simple, great results and easy to work on. The M baler have a modified vertical chamber design with a drum roller. Both the XL & M designs will bale haylage & cornstalks. The 504XL with wide pickup uses 440" belts, the standard pick-up with haysaver wheels has 450" belts. The balers of today all makes will easily work 40-50 years in the field. All parts are available. Comparing a XL & M baler is like comparing a 20 year old corvette to a 5 year old corvette. Remember that all dealers are not created equal, all makes. So often a lesser service oriented dealer doesn't mean that brand of implement is a problem.

/ Vermeer 554xl Questions
The XL Vermeer balers are the last of the 504I baler concept design. Its a bullet proof design, simple, great results and easy to work on. The M baler have a modified vertical chamber design with a drum roller. Both the XL & M designs will bale haylage & cornstalks. The 504XL with wide pickup uses 440" belts, the standard pick-up with haysaver wheels has 450" belts. The balers of today all makes will easily work 40-50 years in the field. All parts are available. Comparing a XL & M baler is like comparing a 20 year old corvette to a 5 year old corvette. Remember that all dealers are not created equal, all makes. So often a lesser service oriented dealer doesn't mean that brand of implement is a problem.
Thanks for the reply. Looking at both, the 504I and 554xl parts diagrams, it looks to me like both balers have a large drum roller in the bottom of the baler. Do I have that wrong - thanks again for your reply!