Bent my MTL Grapple

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
It's not bad but thought the MTL naysayers might like to see it. What happened was I clamped down on a stump and it bent the gusset out which pulled the leg of the clamp in a little. Nothing a rosebud torch and a hammer won't fix. I guess the 2" cylinder applies more force than you actually need to hold something. I plan to modify the clamps in the future anyway. I want them to close with the tips meet the bottom points like the new version does and I plan to add extra points or widen them to make the center gap less.

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #2  
Those clamp legs look a bit thin for how long they are, but I dont have anything to compare it to. Mine is a single lid. A few battle scars make it look better anyway.

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #3  
Those clamp legs look a bit thin for how long they are, but I dont have anything to compare it to. Mine is a single lid. A few battle scars make it look better anyway.
A single lid is not subjected to the twisting moment, as the dual lid is.

/ Bent my MTL Grapple
There are times I wish I had bought a smaller single lid grapple. That said I have worked the crap out of this thing and it has paid for itself twice over.

brush-haul.jpg

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #5  
A single lid is not subjected to the twisting moment, as the dual lid is.

Not really. Clamping odd shaped stuff like stumps or rocks will twist any lid. Any lid that’s not fully boxed to prevent twisting will eventually fail.

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #6  
I would think on odd size objects a double clamp would be less susceptible to twisting. I had a double clamp and wanted a single. I just never liked the double. I really like the bucket grapple I have now. It's quite versatile and I can have the use of the bucket or the grapple.

/ Bent my MTL Grapple #7  
I would think on odd size objects a double clamp would be less susceptible to twisting. I had a double clamp and wanted a single. I just never liked the double. I really like the bucket grapple I have now. It's quite versatile and I can have the use of the bucket or the grapple.
It would be incredibly convenient to not need to swap the bucket and the grapple. For me especially when I want to dig something up with the BH but have the grapple on the front. The bucket provides better stability.

/ Bent my MTL Grapple
A lot of the stuff I pick up has a lot of dirt in it. I have to roll the grapple back and forth to sift the dirt out. A bucket grapple wouldn't work well for my needs.

My needs would be better served with less distance and space between the clamps to prevent stuff from falling out when I roll it forward.

Changing from bucket to grapple doesn't take long.