A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #61  
Late into this; but in N FLa almost every business is looking for help. My son got his first job this summer, and a camp ground, working mostly in a commercial kitchen. When he was hired, he explained they have an App to claim shifts. They can basically sign up or skip shifts as long as they are open, and employees don't go over 40hrs. Now, a 15y/o can work upto 40hrs during summer, and only 13hrs during school. When he told me about the App, I was worried that he would only want to work like 4 hrs per week, but he surprised me. He was working as much as possible, and when he hit 40hrs, he would ask if the boss had anything else too do. They ended up paying him to clean out the house of an old dead manager.

I was surprised and proud that he had a good work ethic. Now, its mostly 15-21 year olds, and they do goof around at work, seeing who will stay in walk in freezer longest, ect; but you expect some of that from kids.

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
Late into this; but in N FLa almost every business is looking for help. My son got his first job this summer, and a camp ground, working mostly in a commercial kitchen. When he was hired, he explained they have an App to claim shifts. They can basically sign up or skip shifts as long as they are open, and employees don't go over 40hrs. Now, a 15y/o can work upto 40hrs during summer, and only 13hrs during school. When he told me about the App, I was worried that he would only want to work like 4 hrs per week, but he surprised me. He was working as much as possible, and when he hit 40hrs, he would ask if the boss had anything else too do. They ended up paying him to clean out the house of an old dead manager.

I was surprised and proud that he had a good work ethic. Now, its mostly 15-21 year olds, and they do goof around at work, seeing who will stay in walk in freezer longest, ect; but you expect some of that from kids.
The kids at work are on a group chat on their phones, and the reality is NOTHING goes on at work without the kids hearing about it. If a supervisor does something stupid, they all know about it.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #63  
Son and his buddys where playing on computer, some kinda first person shooter, team game, and they where half chatting about work and half about the game.

My work, we have a group text, but they are government workers, so it has to stay some what appropriate, and they have to keep in mind it could be pulled up as part of a public record search.

Son and his buddys where playing on computer, some kinda first person shooter, team game, and they where half chatting about work and half about the game.
No, these kids know exactly what is going on at work after the shift ends. Pretty much all teens, they are on some kind of group chat ap. Actually kind of funny and scary how quick they find out what's going on. Kids today don't text like I text work work, they use an ap, sort of like snap chat, which I still don't really understand.

That said, pretty proud as my kid stuck it out. Actually it will be a $3.75 raise.

That said, when you're a company hiring kids who work part time during the school year and summer 40 hour weeks (while still in high school), common sense tells me you start them all out at the same pay rate and have it in writing how the raises work via work performance and time. This company started my kid out at $8.25 and hour and then start other teens out anywhere between $9-$10 an hour. Out of 4 or 5 teens, no one got the same pay rate. When this company opened up yet another location, they were starting new employees out at $11 an hour. Why they did this made no sense to me, that said, it's not my job. It's also very interesting when the shift managers name comes up in the customer review section as to making people upset mulitple times LOL

That said, when you don't terminate someone for actually baking weed in the company oven, who knows LOL

Last edited:
   / A kid gets terminated at work... #65  
You don't need anything specific to fire a non union worker in NC. No cause or justification needed, want somebody gone; terminate them.
And that ain't right!

I've was laid off from a job that I worked for the company 9 years as an engineer. My new boss who use to be my co-worker didn't like me and the first chance he got he laid me off. Corporations deserve unions. And I take the good with the bad working for the federal gov't.

I have a 75 y.o. co-worker who can't see his computer screen and sleeps 50% of the time. He can retire with full benefits but has nothing else to do.

And that ain't right!
I worked in NC for over 20 years now. Never "let go" or fired.

We had a bum work here in NC. My new company is now located out of New York. This co worker was milking every excuse he could do not to work, particularly with workmans comp. The home office went by their New York State laws. It was absolutely stupid with what the local office had to put up with this guy for about 6 months because they wanted the local office to follow the home office's guidelines on what they could "legally" do to terminate this guy.

Gave me a new better appreciation for working in NC when I worked for a local company and we had to get rid of the rift raft...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #67  
I worked in NC for over 20 years now. Never "let go" or fired.
Congrats!

I was never a "company" man. I did my work but don't ask me to be a company cheerleader. I work for the paycheck not the company.

I would have been better of learning a trade and then making bank with overtime.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #68  
I know its kinda drifting the topic; but I saw some mention giving notice, ect. I have always given 2 weeks, and in my industry I know that I can get a call any day to turn my truck in. I also know some companies that, if an employee gives their two weeks, they send them home on the spot. I dont like that approach, but I do understand it. You don't want a employee just milking out two weeks, doing nothing, and possibly stealing stuff ect.

My particular line of work, people change companies regularly, but everyone knows everyone. Changing companies isn't looked down on generally, and most people just see it as 'what name is on the truck door'. With that said, people don't remember your screw up as being with a company, but your reputation follows you, from company to company.

About 4 years ago, I gave notice to my employer, Company A, and with 30 minutes another company called me, to say, We are hiring you. I said No, im going to XVY. Well after 5 weeks with XVY, not really doing what I expected, I called them (Company B) and went right to work. One the notice thing, when I talked to Company B, they told me flat out, if you want to give XVY notice, do it now, your starting in 2 weeks here. Gave notice before paperwork, drug test, ect was back.

Boss from Company A, is a good friend with boss from Company B, and they eat lunch together probably once per week.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #69  
I know its kinda drifting the topic; but I saw some mention giving notice, ect. I have always given 2 weeks, and in my industry I know that I can get a call any day to turn my truck in. I also know some companies that, if an employee gives their two weeks, they send them home on the spot. I dont like that approach, but I do understand it. You don't want a employee just milking out two weeks, doing nothing, and possibly stealing stuff ect.

My particular line of work, people change companies regularly, but everyone knows everyone. Changing companies isn't looked down on generally, and most people just see it as 'what name is on the truck door'. With that said, people don't remember your screw up as being with a company, but your reputation follows you, from company to company.

About 4 years ago, I gave notice to my employer, Company A, and with 30 minutes another company called me, to say, We are hiring you. I said No, im going to XVY. Well after 5 weeks with XVY, not really doing what I expected, I called them (Company B) and went right to work. One the notice thing, when I talked to Company B, they told me flat out, if you want to give XVY notice, do it now, your starting in 2 weeks here. Gave notice before paperwork, drug test, ect was back.

Boss from Company A, is a good friend with boss from Company B, and they eat lunch together probably once per week.
My philosophy after 30 yrs in the workforce is that if a company won't give me 2 weeks notice then I'm not going to give them 2 weeks notice before moving on.

Also private companies don't want you to share your salary with other employees as it allows the company to underpay. With the federal gov't everyone knows what everyone else is making and I like that.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #70  
My son developed those desirable work ethics when working during Xmas rushes.
Of some 12 'rush workers' he was the only one offered a full time job.

But then I had the same experience working Xmas sales job at Sears as a teen.
I actually learned how to serve 2-3 clients at the same time while the permanent staff was not to be seen. I'd need a second order pad most shifts while the perms barely used a half.

Son went on to become a research scientist for the Colorado river commission.
Not only has he a doctorate but also is a level 4 actuary.
He works hard and plays hard and has travelled the world over.

Oh, can I tell stories of hiring as a small business owner.
Like so called engineers applying for a technician job and having to justify why not in court.
(Hey, did not wish to re design that device, just a repair that met aviation standards without re certification.)
or that electronic professor wanting a summer job but could not answer simple trade practice questions. (typically replied, "as per the specs' but did not know the most common practices, like wire gauge fusing and current limits)