Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality #71  
Yes. Yes it is. There are very few things as satisfying as cutting up steel pieces from you own stock and welding up something useful that you wanted. And then having it work out just like you planned. Satisfying indeed.
I've said it here before. If there was more welding and fabrication taught in high schools there would be a lot fewer troubled teens.

/ Truck bed extender legality #72  
Thats actually not a bad Idea for the things like cornstalks and marestail. But I worry about ragweed and bull thistle breaking things off getting them in.

And I'd need a TON of pipes.

The festival is over now... but I hauled down 6 ragweed, 3 marestail, 6 cornstalks, 3 bull thistle, 1 other thistle.
1st place ~10' marestail, 1st place ~14'4" other thistle, 3rd place on ragweed ~14'6", 3rd on cornstalk ~13'6", and 3rd on bull thistle ~12'.

Hoping for some 17' cornstalks next year. Got several the first year I planted goliath silage corn. But the past two years I have saved seed cause its open pollenated and have only got to the 13' ballpark
You got some BIG weeds! Is that why the corn was stunted? :)

/ Truck bed extender legality
   / Truck bed extender legality #74  
I know the show is over, you already made the extender, and all that. This comment is just an observation from somebody who is usually 8 or more pages behind on the few posts he does read...
I would consider adding a set of boat trailer lights to it. Simple enough to do, not a lot of money, and it gives you just a little more protection from that kid texting, etc. The rear picture the car behind you sees is usually the rear of your truck with the tail/brake lights. That added orange 2 inch tall strip across the back may not even get noticed. Now if you pile enough stuff on it...but you would probably load the trailer if you were carrying enough to make the picture clearer to the person behind. Kind of like standing on R/R tracks, you never see the cow-catcher, just the front of the train coming at you, yet the cow-catcher is what you get nailed by.
Just a thought, easy to add, and plug them into the trailer light connector (!@#% where did I put that 4 pin to 7 pin adapter!!)
David from jax

/ Truck bed extender legality #75  
The more I listen to truckers (& watch dash-cam videos :sneaky:) the more I want to fix up my magnetic 'towing light' set. (need to upgrade the magnets) Would like an extra set of lights on any car, truck, or tractor I have on the trailer. So many drivers distracted, or not staying back end up rear-ending somebody. I don't want someone saying they didn't see me.

/ Truck bed extender legality #77  

Section 4513.09 | Red light or flag required.​

Ohio Revised Code
Title 45 Motor Vehicles-Aeronautics-Watercraft
Chapter 4513 Traffic Laws - Equipment; Loads

Effective: October 16, 2009
Latest Legislation: House Bill 1 - 128th General Assembly

(A) Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear four feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the times specified in section 4513.03 of the Revised Code, a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern required by this section is in addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than sixteen inches square.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Section 4513.03 | Time for lighted lights on motor vehicles.​

Ohio Revised Code

(A) Every vehicle, other than a motorized bicycle, operated upon a street or highway within this state shall display lighted lights and illuminating devices as required by sections 4513.04 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code during all of the following times:

(1) The time from sunset to sunrise;

(2) At any other time when, due to insufficient natural light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons, vehicles, and substantial objects on the highway are not discernible at a distance of one thousand feet ahead;

(3) At any time when the windshield wipers of the vehicle are in use because of precipitation on the windshield.

Every motorized bicycle shall display at such times lighted lights meeting the rules adopted by the director of public safety under section 4511.521 of the Revised Code. No motor vehicle, during any time specified in this section, shall be operated upon a street or highway within this state using only parking lights as illumination.

Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible, or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, such distance shall be measured upon a straight level unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different condition is expressly stated.
Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the mounted height of lights or devices, it shall mean from the center of such light or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands.
(
B) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, no law enforcement officer shall cause the operator of a vehicle being operated upon a street or highway within this state to stop the vehicle solely because the officer observes that a violation of division (A)(3) of this section has been or is being committed or for the sole purpose of issuing a ticket, citation, or summons for a violation of that division, or causing the arrest of or commencing a prosecution of a person for a violation of that division.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

/ Truck bed extender legality

Section 4513.09 | Red light or flag required.​

Ohio Revised Code

Effective: October 16, 2009
Latest Legislation: House Bill 1 - 128th General Assembly

(A) Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear four feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the times specified in section 4513.03 of the Revised Code, a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern required by this section is in addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than sixteen inches square.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Section 4513.03 | Time for lighted lights on motor vehicles.​

Ohio Revised Code

(A) Every vehicle, other than a motorized bicycle, operated upon a street or highway within this state shall display lighted lights and illuminating devices as required by sections 4513.04 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code during all of the following times:

(1) The time from sunset to sunrise;

(2) At any other time when, due to insufficient natural light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons, vehicles, and substantial objects on the highway are not discernible at a distance of one thousand feet ahead;

(3) At any time when the windshield wipers of the vehicle are in use because of precipitation on the windshield.

Every motorized bicycle shall display at such times lighted lights meeting the rules adopted by the director of public safety under section 4511.521 of the Revised Code. No motor vehicle, during any time specified in this section, shall be operated upon a street or highway within this state using only parking lights as illumination.

Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible, or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, such distance shall be measured upon a straight level unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different condition is expressly stated.
Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the mounted height of lights or devices, it shall mean from the center of such light or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands.
(
B) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, no law enforcement officer shall cause the operator of a vehicle being operated upon a street or highway within this state to stop the vehicle solely because the officer observes that a violation of division (A)(3) of this section has been or is being committed or for the sole purpose of issuing a ticket, citation, or summons for a violation of that division, or causing the arrest of or commencing a prosecution of a person for a violation of that division.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.
Thanks for the reply. But I already found the information, made what I needed, and have already used it.

/ Truck bed extender legality #79  
I think it's a common sense thing with some people. Other times it's a "I must reply" problem. Then there's the "I didn't read what the OP posted enough to understand it" to provide an accurate answer. It seemed pretty straight forward to me. The question was "So is there a law or something that specifies a given distance or something?". Since LD1 had talked about a flag of some sort he clearly knew that there was a requirement for a flag depending how far the material sticks out past the tailgate. I also assumed that since putting a flag on usually isn't a problem there was a reason for not wanting to do so.

So I would not have answered "Just put a flag on it". I might have asked why a flag wouldn't work. But just saying "put a flag on it did come off kind of sarcastic. It doesn't mean it was meant to be but this is not face to face so you have to accept that sarcastic humor, if that was what it was meant to be, may not come across as a joke.

What's too bad is that nobody went into what would happen if you put lights on the extender. It seems like it then would be part of the vehicle and could stick out much further than 4' (or 6' like some laws say). Since there's a trailer plug right there adding lights would be very little work. That could mean that you now can extend 4' beyond the extender before needing a flag.

Back when I worked at a glass company we had a delivery truck that the rack was extendable in both directions width wise and height. The company that made the rack put lights in the extension. Never once were we stopped and the rack would extend about 3 feet forward before reaching the side view mirror and about 6' plus rearward.

Personally I would add lights, both rearward facing ones and side markers. The rear facing ones would be for that idiot driver who isn't paying attention who's going to say "the flag wasn't visible" when he hits you at 30mph. The side ones would be for that idiot walking who's too busy texting their BFF and will walk into it and then say it's your fault they couldn't see it. Plus I kind of like lights.