Broken ZTM mowing deck belt.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
I started mowing yesterday and after about 50-100" the mower belt broke. This mower only has 107 hrs on it and was dealer serviced at 76 hrs last fall. Seems like a short life. It was too late to call the dealer.

When I got the belts for my Land Pride finish mower I got Kevlar reinforced belts but all searches now I'm seeing either OEM (and that last one didn't last; Hecto en Mexico) or no-name. Any brand recommendations?

My manual also has NOTHING about belt changing procedure. I'd assume it's easier if I remove the deck.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #2  
You just might get more responses if the make and model of this thing plus what deck it has weren't top secret. Plus with any belt breakage a physical inspection of the deck has to happen for a correct diagnoses. What did you find? Did the belt just snap like a torque snap or shred?

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #3  
I can tell when my belts stretch enough to start slipping when I engage the PTO and are about to break. I pretty much change them every 2 years at the most to keep from having one break.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #4  
On my Toro I refused to pay a stealers price of $60, I found the length by digging on line using the part number and found a similar Kevlar belt for 1/2 price on Amazon, so far 30+ hours and no sign of wear..........Mike

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #5  
107 hrs isnt bad on a belt but it all depends on circumstances.

Constant starting and stopping of the deck are hard on belts. If you have to engage and disengage the mower 2 dozen times each time you mow it isnt gonna last nearly as long as if you only engage once....mow yard and done.

The new mowers that automatically disengage the deck when in reverse are the worst.

But kevlar belts are a must too. No standard industrial B-series or A-series belts. Those have polyester cords and wont handle the shock loads.

I have had good luck with Napa Bladerunner belts. (made by gates I believe). But they are hard to find and no good way to look up by size...and the belt numbers dont mean squat. I took the time a few years ago to go through the various 500+ blade runner belts and made a spreadsheet of them by size. If I knew the OEM and OEM part number of your belt or even a size I could give you a napa blade runner belt number in short order. And many times there are several belts close enough to work. For example sometimes if you need a given length....there might be 5 belts within +/- 1/2" and most mowers have more than enough tensioner play to make a belt 1/2" shorter or 1/2" longer work just fine with no ill effects

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #6  
I've used polyester and kevlar belts and really haven't seen much difference in the two. The kevlar actually seem to glaze over worse than the poly.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #7  
I've used polyester and kevlar belts and really haven't seen much difference in the two. The kevlar actually seem to glaze over worse than the poly.
Its because the kevlar belts are usually wrapped. You can get either belt in wrapped or non. The key difference is in the cord construction. kevlar/aramid vs polyester.

Sure the industrial belts may handle older lower HP machines or garden tractors or 3PH mowers. But the dont work well on modern high HP ZTR's and tend to snap belts.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #8  
....there might be 5 belts within +/- 1/2" and most mowers have more than enough tensioner play to make a belt 1/2" shorter or 1/2" longer work just fine with no ill effects
You are so right, my OE belt is 113-1/2", the replacement was 113" with no problem. wo do manufacturers make it an odd length belt? So people will think they have to go to them. First thing I do when I buy anything is find the aftermarket pn's for common parts........Mike

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #9  
Its because the kevlar belts are usually wrapped. You can get either belt in wrapped or non. The key difference is in the cord construction. kevlar/aramid vs polyester.

Sure the industrial belts may handle older lower HP machines or garden tractors or 3PH mowers. But the dont work well on modern high HP ZTR's and tend to snap belts.
The belts I use are on my 2 JD ZTRs and my Frontier 20' finishing mower. I suspect all of those fit the high HP description you refer to. The standard belts I use are raw edge but I haven't been able to find Kevlar belts that are raw edge. The ones I have on now are wrapped. I've never replaced the belts on my FM since I got it and I've had it for 8 years or so.

/ Broken ZTM mowing deck belt. #10  
The belts I use are on my 2 JD ZTRs and my Frontier 20' finishing mower. I suspect all of those fit the high HP description you refer to. The standard belts I use are raw edge but I haven't been able to find Kevlar belts that are raw edge. The ones I have on now are wrapped. I've never replaced the belts on my FM since I got it and I've had it for 8 years or so.
And you are saying you are using polyester belts on your ZTRs?